Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Compact Flash Upgrade

jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
Has anyone installed an upgraded compact flash card on an MVP-8400? If so, did you use the AMX one or did you buy one from the store? If the latter, what brand did you use? Also, how much did you upgrade to and why?

Just looking for reccomendations / opinions on upgrade size and different brands that would be good for this.

Edit: Sorry - I should have put this in the User Interface section. Requesting that an admin move this.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Those are supposed to be factory programmed from AMX aren't they?
  • Options
    vining wrote:
    Those are supposed to be factory programmed from AMX aren't they?
    Which is one reason why I'm asking. However, I had heard from soneone that they upgraded a panel without using the AMX ones, and got the compact card from an online computer retail store.
  • Options
    Well I suppose if you could copy the contents of the existing flash card and transfer it to the new flash card it wouldn't matter where the card came from. That is unless there's a config or ini file that needs to be modified.

I pulled the flash card out of my 12" bench TP and put it in a reader but couldn't read a thing but that may be because this is a Linux based OS and my reader was attached to a PC running a Windows OS. I didn't think of that until after the fact.

The flash card is I presume where the TP's OS resides and that would need to be tranferred. Might need a Linux guru.
  • Options
    joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    This is straight forward using Linux. The general concept:

1. Pick up a Compact Flash to IDE adaptor, plug card and adaptor into slave IDE port.
    2. Download and burn a Linux distro to boot from DVD.
    3. Determine partition scheme on CF card
    4. Mimic on new card only resizing to match max size of new card
    5. Copy contents of partitions to appropriate locations

The biggest time sink is setting up a machine to do this.

Joel
  • Options
    mushmush Posts: 287
    Or just use Norton Ghost to clone the partition onto the new card?
  • Options
    I spoke a bit with the person that told me about the "upgrade" he did. It turns out it was with the RAM for a CV12 to improve animation. I thought he was talking about the compact flash - not the RAM, proves I was wrong.
  • Options
    Don't be discouraged, what you are asking about is very straight forward.

Knoppix is bootable from CD/DVD: http://www.knoppix.com/

It's the same process to upgrade drives on a Lansonic, ReQuest, TiVo, etc.

When I run across the opportunity I'll write something up about it.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    I seem to remember someone writing up instructions on how to do this about a year ago so perhaps a search would turn it up.
  • Options
    Looking at the memory upgrade pricing it wouldn't be suprised if there are counter measures against this. AMX does make most of it's money selling hardware.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    vincen wrote:

Yeah that was the thread I was thinking of. I guess he didn't figure it out actually....
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    I am wondering how it works with WPA2 (802.11i)? Meant MVP-8400 with new G card firmware upgrade and an WAP2 enabled access point... Any problems/tips?
  • Options
    No RAM Upgrade

I confirmed today that the RAM in the MVPxxxx, CV5, CV7, and CV10 can not be upgraded. 64meg is all you get. The flash memory upgrade only allows you to increase the number of pages or images in the panel file.

You need at least 128meg of RAM for acceptable weather radar animation.
  • Options
    B_Clements wrote:
    I confirmed today that the RAM in the MVPxxxx, CV5, CV7, and CV10 can not be upgraded. 64meg is all you get. The flash memory upgrade only allows you to increase the number of pages or images in the panel file.

You need at least 128meg of RAM for acceptable weather radar animation.

I guess that officially puts an end to that. That is unless I get clients with deeper pockets that can afford the bigger panels.

But that does raise the question of why? Or in this case why not. You would think for the price of these devices and the low cost of ram and flash cards AMX would have a vested interest it assembling these things with the best available components. Say a $40 dollars RAM or Flash card instead of the $10 cards installed (slightly exaggerated). Granted when these things were originally designed and engineered the cards were substantially more money and had somewhat comparable capabilies to that which was generally available but they are now obsolete and to stay on the cutting edge you have to stay on the cutting edge with installed capabilites especially when these parts are at the core of the systems operations and dictate its functionality.

You can buy a 2GB 100x CF for $118.00 and the 64 MB 4x which is probably similar to what's installed can be had for $12.00. RAM is slightly more expensive but for the price everything should sell w/ 256MB but I'd now be happy w/ 128MB.

Stifled by $20.00 worth of hardware on a $4,500.00 device!
  • Options
    youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    What are RAM specs for TPI/4 & early Moderos?

I don't have a unit to bust open here - anyone got the vitals so I can get some reasonably-priced RAM?

Thanks
    -B