Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Switching from AXCESS to Netlinx

bobbob Posts: 296
Hi everyone,

I am about to transfer an Axcess based system to NI-700 master. Anyone could give some ideas as to what the minimum program modification is and where to start? Any hints?

Thanks,
Bob.

Comments

• Options
    JustinCJustinC Posts: 74
    The answer is what functionality you are wanting to use by moving to the NI-700. Technically if you make sure you don't use the Keyword "SWITCH" as a variable or device name in your axcess program the rest will work fine.

However you may want to move all your push statements to Button_Events.

Also, you will need to create data_events for your RS232 devices b/c the startup section will not setup the ports anymore.

And I believe device addressing will now need to be in the D:P:S format.
  • Options
    Thanks, thats cool. I would first like to convert the processor changing as little as possible (but device addressing and serial port initialization) and see if everything still works :-). Later I will change all PUSH'es to Button_Events and at a later point optimize/extend the code.

I would also need on a Button_Event, to login to a remote (linux) server (to its IP address) and execute the "poweroff" command. Any Netlinx lines for doing that?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • Options
    JustinCJustinC Posts: 74
    That isn't too difficult, just open a server session on whatever port you need to and then send the commands out like its a serial port. You can use the Help function with the keywords IP_CLIENT_OPEN.

That will get you started, you can also do a search on this forum with some people having timeout issues with the port.
  • Options
    In case anyone is interested, I have found a good manual descibing the conversion of Axcess to Netlinx code:
    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/Programming%20FAQs/Converting%20AXCESS%20to%20NetLinx.pdf
  • Options
    JustinC wrote:
    ...you will need to create data_events for your RS232 devices b/c the startup section will not setup the ports anymore.
    The configuration commands can be in DEFINE_START, but will only work if the device has already come online at that time. Adding a WAIT will usually solve this, but a ONLINE in a DATA_EVENT is certainly more elegant.
    JustinC wrote:
    And I believe device addressing will now need to be in the D:P:S format.
    A device defined as
    VOLUME = 96

will be treated at compile time as if it said,
    VOLUME = 96:1:0