Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Problem with MVP-8400 communicating

Hello,

I have 4 Wireless 8400's conected to the master and 1 one of the wireless panels will only show the Kernel, Root file system, bootrom , and only 1 port in the online tree. Sometimes this device will only show the Kernel and one port. This panel shows very good WAP connection and also indicated that it is connected to the master. The 3 other panels show all ports and work fine.

I think I have eliminated a faulty panel issue because it happens with all panels if I change the device ID to 10005.

Does anyone have and ideas on why this device will only show 1 port and not be able to send commands to the master?

If it matters, the panels are all static ip. I have 2 linksys "N" waps, and 1 Linksys "G" wap.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    This may not be relevant to your problem but are those WAP's all in the sam building, same network and same SSID. My understanding of 802.11N is that is should be avoided. They have more power and are multi channel / wide spectrum (can't think of the correct term) one N WAP uses all avaible WAP channels and will step all over everything else.

If you live in the woods far away from every one else then using a single "N" WAP is fine and one should do for a rather sizable home. If your in a congested area and there are "N"'s all around you'll have all sorts of overlapping issues and interferance.

If your going to use mutiple WAP's use G and seperate the channels by at least 4. If your in an area with other WAP's you need to do a site survey and pick channels that work for you that also work with the others nearby.

As far as your problem goes I assume device # 10005 isn't already being used by something else. And if you change it to another number does it work? Are all your TCP/IP settings the same? Gateway, DNS, subnet mask and encryption key. But if you're connected, then your connected. Is the one that's not working in another part of the building and did you test side my side with a working MVP?
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    Vining, Thanks for the reply. I will test this out again this weekend.
    THANKS
    vining wrote:
    This may not be relevant to your problem but are those WAP's all in the sam building, same network and same SSID. My understanding of 802.11N is that is should be avoided. They have more power and are multi channel / wide spectrum (can't think of the correct term) one N WAP uses all avaible WAP channels and will step all over everything else.

If you live in the woods far away from every one else then using a single "N" WAP is fine and one should do for a rather sizable home. If your in a congested area and there are "N"'s all around you'll have all sorts of overlapping issues and interferance.

If your going to use mutiple WAP's use G and seperate the channels by at least 4. If your in an area with other WAP's you need to do a site survey and pick channels that work for you that also work with the others nearby.

As far as your problem goes I assume device # 10005 isn't already being used by something else. And if you change it to another number does it work? Are all your TCP/IP settings the same? Gateway, DNS, subnet mask and encryption key. But if you're connected, then your connected. Is the one that's not working in another part of the building and did you test side my side with a working MVP?
  • Options
    MVP-8400 dropping connection

I have the same problem except that it is with all three of my systems. I am not an amx programmer and have no idea if it is a programming issue. I do know that the system was working fine until the 3 NI 0000's were rebooted. Now I have to reboot the controler every other day to reconnect the remotes with the system. I have three NI 3000's and three mvp-8400 and each is connected to the network via AMX wireless waps. If you find a solution, please post it.
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    Problem solved

It was my managed Cisco switch. The switch was locking down the WAP ports because of too many clients.

I changed the switch smart port configuration from a "wap" to a "router" and that seems to have solved my connection problem.