Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

About TABLE TOP DOCKING STATION (MVP-TDS)

Hi there,

I found out that TABLE TOP DOCKING STATION (MVP-TDS) it makes MVP-7500, MVP-8400 very hard to seat back for our clients and for us some time (there isn?t easy guide lines). Some time you will think the Touch Panel is seating right (if you don?t pay attention at LED status and this happens a lot with customers) but in reality is not and battery will go empty after about 8 h with MVP-8400, 4 with MVP-7500 (one battery for MVP-7500), then imagine the next step?. (Costumer upset, TP is not working!!!!!!).
The electromagnet will not work if you unplug the power cable (is a different story with in wall (MVP-WDS) and pass) and it makes almost no sense.

Also the plastic in Modero TP will get really easy scratch -> after gest tow days of messing with MVP-TDS the back off TP will look like an 2 years old TP.

I know that our customers have lots of $$ but still I put my self in their head and try to think.
Maybe I am a little too picky but here I want your help.

Please let us know watt is your impression about MVP-TDS.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    We have only sold one of the table top docking stations so far, but it seems to be working ok. I found that it worked best if the panel was tilted forward slightly and lower so that it docks, then let it rest back against the magnet. But that does mean that there is room for improvements ;)

Jeff
  • Options
    samossamos Posts: 106
    The plastic is very cheap

The only bad comment I have ever recieved about the MVP is the cheapness of the plastic. When the customers find out how much they pay for the TP they expect it to be very durable and that is the last thing the plastic is. Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    Imagine that some clients will not make a call for the scratches but next time they may go with the others, or who knows what others will be.

At CEDIA was mansion about plastic quality and as far as I know there sold be an improvement in the future. (But hey competition is knocking on the door. There is not as much room to play as before)
  • Options
    Just a few thoughts... I can't think of a better shell than plastic. Metal would either be considerably heavier or if you went with a lighter metal it would scratch as easily or easier than plastic (unless you went with some titanium alloy) I have been trying to think of another offering that uses something other than plastic and I am unable to think of handheld device. Maybe using some strategically placed pieces of metal or rubber may provide the answer.

Another thought I had was maybe moving to snap on skins. Kinda of like some cell phones or like the wrist rests on dell laptops. This would allow for a variety of colors and even possibly provide a means of recurring revenue. You could offer a package that automatically sends out new skin parts every 6 months or every year or every 3 months or whatever and it could provide some means of residual income and another reason to stop in and see the customer in a situation other than a service call. This could let you discuss the newest offerings provided by your company with a customer that isn't upset because something isn't working. It also gives you an opportunity to deal with those little nagging things that customers don't want to call you about because it's too small to warrant a service call (Such as they want the lights to shut off immediately when they start a movie as opposed to fading over 20 seconds).

Just a few more thoughts from a highly caffeinated programmer.

Jeff
  • Options
    jeffacojeffaco Posts: 121
    I have an MVP-8400, and I noticed that the plastic wears VERY quickly as well. I may not use any MVP-8400's in the future, in part due to this.

It's not the plastic I mind. I also used older AMX Viewpoint touch panels. These were plastic too. After they fixed the design flaw where the hard buttons would frequently break, these things just hold up and hold up.

The bottom line:

After several years of use of the old style Viewpoint, clean up the unit a bit, clean the screen, and it looks new.

After a few months of use for the new style MVP-8400, it looks like it's been battered and abused (even when it hasn't been), and the only way to make it look decent again is to replace the plastic parts (which, to the best of my knowledge, requires sending the unit to AMX service).

I don't mind plastic. But I do mind plastic that won't hold up.
  • Options
    I hope there is somebody watching this in Technical department and management. This is not a joke.

I don?t like to be a bed guy but when you will fell that the other guys are taking the job and you are on the side the result it is no good for anybody.

Thanks for your participation.
    Feel free to post your little time here

Also refer to my other threat. About MVP-7500

I am looking forward to some response from technical department.

Thanks all and welcome for more.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Ditto on all of this - especially the easily-marred plastic, and the difficulty in seating panels on the base.
  • Options
    Decor-Matching Plastic covers

Jeff,

Great idea on the "Hot Swappable" plastic covers. We have a saying here at our office, "If there's a problem, make it a feature!" The covers could be used to accent or blend in with the decor of any room in the house. Kids could have Sponge Bob(tm) or whatever. The techie Dad could have clear maybe? Mom could have a high gloss black or burl wood? I think you're onto something here... Even in the corporate world, each board room could have a specific color. Hmm... Customizable with company graphics or logos?

Kevin
    The New Graphic Designer for the Soon to be Released MVP SlipCovers ;)
  • Options
    ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    Originally posted by bogdan
    Imagine that some clients will not make a call for the scratches but next time they may go with the others, or who knows what others will be.

At CEDIA was mansion about plastic quality and as far as I know there sold be an improvement in the future. (But hey competition is knocking on the door. There is not as much room to play as before)

Well, When they go to look at what the other guys have to offer, they'll be running back to AMX.

Every time I try to use their in-wall dock the panel falls straight to the ground.....
  • Options
    Sliding board docking technique

We looked at the best way to make an MVP dock correctly when our first one arrived about a month ago. Here's the technique that seems to be the most reproducable, at least with our staff (the customer hasn't tried it yet):

1) Tilt the TDS pivoting arm back at about 45 deg.

2) Center the AMX logo on the MVP over the electro-magnet.

3) Use the pivoting arm like a sliding board and guide the MVP down until it latches.

This has been pretty fool prove so far.

Good Luck!
    Kurt Korfhage
    Simplified Technologies
  • Options
    In my opinion if a client spends around 2 grand on a plastic docking station they shouldn't have to hassle with trying to get the MVPs docked. Maybe if those 2 little indents on the bottom of the MVPs were deeper it would be easier to line up by feel?
  • Options
    just putting in my two cents worth.

yes, the docking to the deskstand is really bad.

we are all techs, we know how to deal with this stuff.

but i have to say, even i have to double check that the panel has been seated correctly. so for an end-user, who doesn't want to fiddle and wont have the patience, it is a very unfriendly fit.

it would be very easy to leave the panel unsecured, then next time someone bumps the bench/table, a panel hits the floor.

fortunately this hasn't happened yet, but i can see how it would easily occur.

i now have a panel with a very hot junction between deskstand and the panel. i suspect it has become a faulty connection and will need to be sent back. going there tomorrow to check.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RichardHamilton
    i now have a panel with a very hot junction between deskstand and the panel. i suspect it has become a faulty connection and will need to be sent back. going there tomorrow to check.

As I recall, the part in the docking station where the electromagnet is gets quite warm when the panel has been docked for a while (heat caused by electrical resistance ). Hopefully this is what's happening at your client's place.

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The latest firmware includes a very hard to mss DOCKED window when the panel is properly docked. It doesn't make it any easier to actually dock the thing, but at least you know you did it right away.

It's not really the plastic itself that is a problem with the MVP series, it's the fact that it has a very easily scratched color finish on it, instead of the plastic itself being the proper color. When worn, it turns white...and it looks really, really bad. Cheap, as a matter of fact, when it is in fact far from it.
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    I installed 4 8400 panels in November with wall mount and desk docking. All of the panels are very scratched and look like they are 5 years old with heavy use.