Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

McAfee and TPD4

Anyone ever investigate a method to configure McAfee to remain active and not make TPD4 file transfers take 5 minutes? I am getting sick of disabling my virus protection every time I need to transfer and I'm almost to the point of trying to figure it out myself, but I figured I'd take the lazy path and see if anyone has figured it out yet.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I suppose you woudn't find the suggestion of getting rid of McAfee helpful?

In all seriousness, I truly despise the McAfee product, and frankly, Norton's is well on the way to that as well. They have gotten too full of themselves, bloated, and demanding; the programs hog way too many resources, are too finiky, their subscription models stink, etc. ... I could go on, but I won't. I'm looking into Avast, myself - it comes highly recommended, and is free for non-commercial use.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I am not opposed to dumping McAfee, but I have already dumped Norton because of problems I had with that program. I agree that they are both resource hogs and almost as bad as having virii. I am open to new programs, but I also have to be cautious because I am in charge of the entire companies virus protection. I chose McAfee because it was easy enough for all users to use and keep updated.

Jeff

P.S.
    I did a quick search and it seems that there is no option in the advanced configuration to actually tell the software which programs to scan. You can choose either ALL files or Program files only, but McAfee controls the list of what is considered a program.
  • Options
    MCafee nightmare

I concur, I hate mcafee virus products. Norton is superior, however lately their programs have become way too bloated. They slow your system down a lot. However if you get plain old norton antivirus, and only norton antivirus, you should be fine. I have had no problems using that when loading code.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i use Norman antivirus, no problem also.
    At home i use Sophos and als no problems with that :)
  • Options
    I had a REALLY bad experience with Norton. That was what came installed on the bosses computer. When the subscription expired, we did the product upgrade as was recommended (antivirus only). The install of the new software screwed up the system to the point the we could not no matter how many hours I spent with Norton tech (and there were quite a few calls of 1-2 hours on hold followed by "Try this" which took 1-3 hours to attempt) After three days of trying to get Norton to work in ANY capacity, I gave up and downloaded McAfee. I uninstalled Norton again, and McAfee went in with no problems.

The thing is, I used to be a Norton fan.... up until the last few years. I used to spec Norton to all of my computer clients, then they started with the norton internet suite crap and it all fell apart.

Jeff
  • Options
    I too, used to be a Norton's fan. They've gone steadily downhill since Symantec took over though. I have a current installation at home that refuses to start up the worm protection, no matter what I do. Tech support's answer was essentially disable everything else on the computer, then add them back in one by one until I could isolate what was interfering. I didn't see why I should have to spend days troubleshooting their product. I left it installed, but I won't renew the subscription.
  • Options
    JustinCJustinC Posts: 74
    The main problem with Norton "Home Edition" is that it never really uninstalls properly. So if for some reason the install gets corrupt and a function doesn't work and you try to uninstall/reinstall. It stays corrupted. Its a PITA. I switched to Norton Corporate edition which never requires a subscription and is very streamlined. It hasn't given me any problems as of yet.
  • Options
    JustinC wrote:
    The main problem with Norton "Home Edition" is that it never really uninstalls properly. So if for some reason the install gets corrupt and a function doesn't work and you try to uninstall/reinstall. It stays corrupted. Its a PITA. I switched to Norton Corporate edition which never requires a subscription and is very streamlined. It hasn't given me any problems as of yet.
    Been there, done that, got the agita. Not only did I uninstall it, I ran the cleamup tool from Symantec that is supposed to remove all registry entries, etc. I manually deleted all Symantec folders, and manually went through the registry and removed all references to any Symantec product. When I re-installed, still no go. In the course of my screwing around, I once killed every startup process on the machine that was not a system process, and then it would work ... but I wasn't about to go through all of them one by one to find the cause of the conflict, with a ten minute reboot cycle between each go. That's something I expect their tech support to know - what programs they are not compatible with. Sure, I could figure it out, but I really don't have the time, and I decided the product just wasn't worth the hassle anymore.
  • Options
    wcravenelwcravenel Posts: 114
    I have used PC-cillin very happily for ? 10 years now, and would say the same caution applies to not implement the entire suite.

I concur with consistently less than thrilling experiences on my and client computers with both Norton and McAfee (Norton really seems to take the prize once it gets out of whack). Take the Keith Richards restorative cure and do a scratch install if it is really problematic, it will probably save time in the long run.

Bill
  • Options
    joshjjoshj Posts: 4
    no one has offered a solution..

right click the icon, select "disable real time scan" or something to that effect.
    if it is greyed out or comes back, you have to be administrator on your computer.
  • Options
    joshj wrote:
    no one has offered a solution..

right click the icon, select "disable real time scan" or something to that effect.
    if it is greyed out or comes back, you have to be administrator on your computer.

That is what I am currently doing. I was looking for a way to let McAfee know that it didn't have to worry about TPD4. I don't have a problem remembering to disable the scan, it's just sometimes I find myself surfing the net when I look down and see that I've had my virus scan disabled ;)

Jeff
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Dave wrote:
    In all seriousness, I truly despise the McAfee product, and frankly, Norton's is well on the way to that as well. They have gotten too full of themselves, bloated, and demanding; the programs hog way too many resources, are too finiky, their subscription models stink, etc
    The conspiracy theory side of me has to wonder if the business model that the anti-virus giants follow to create a need is anything similar to the popup blocker software companies that advertise on popups
  • Options
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    The conspiracy theory side of me has to wonder if the business model that the anti-virus giants follow to create a need is anything similar to the popup blocker software companies that advertise on popups

I always did wonder how occasionally a virus would pop up that could only be detected exclusively by Norton or McAfee for the first week or two of it's epidemic spread.

Jeff
  • Options
    Who has the most to gain by creating a virus? The virus protection industry would be stupid not to do it.