Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware MAX by AMX
Options

MAX and Cisco

AMBAMB Posts: 18
Good afternoon!
Greetings from Russia.
There is a problem. The object on which MAX-MMS900M through switch Cisco Catalyst 2950 is connected with AVM modules. The problem that AVM modules cannot receive from MAX IP the address, at that if will connect AVM directly to a server AVM it is successfully loaded. Probably a problem in Cisco, tried to adjust, without successful. Who can that collided. Prompt please.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AMB wrote:
    Good afternoon!
    Greetings from Russia.
    There is a problem. The object on which MAX-MMS900M through switch Cisco Catalyst 2950 is connected with AVM modules. The problem that AVM modules cannot receive from MAX IP the address, at that if will connect AVM directly to a server AVM it is successfully loaded. Probably a problem in Cisco, tried to adjust, without successful. Who can that collided. Prompt please.
    Thanks.

Did you note that the MMS900 actually has two network ports? One is strictly for control, and the other is strictly for media streaming. They have different subnets. If you don't have them on two different physical networks, they at least should be partitioned. You also have to make sure your router isn't blocking that media subnet - it defaults to a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx IP range, while the control NIC defaults to a 192.168.xxx.xxx range.

If that part is OK, then you need to define the AVM modules on the server before it will see them. You can do this in WinMax or from a console on the server itself.
  • Options
    Actually I have similar problems with network switches and MAX (in this case an HT12). If I boot them connected to any sort of real, managed switch, they don't work. If I connect them to some little $50 wireless router switch or anything of that sort, then move them to the "real" switch, they work just fine. This is for AVM modules.

The MAX is doling out IP addresses, correct? So it really shouldn't be too particular on the switch? Heck, I can get a few streams going through the cheap wireless router which is at least entertaining...

Curt
    Trikin
  • Options
    TrikinCurt wrote:
    The MAX is doling out IP addresses, correct? So it really shouldn't be too particular on the switch? Heck, I can get a few streams going through the cheap wireless router which is at least entertaining...

Curt
    Trikin
    Yeah, you enter the "configuration serial number," which is pretty obviously a MAC address. The MAX assigns the IP based on that.
  • Options
    AMBAMB Posts: 18
    Actually I have similar problems with network switches and MAX (in this case an HT12). If I boot them connected to any sort of real, managed switch, they don't work. If I connect them to some little $50 wireless router switch or anything of that sort, then move them to the "real" switch, they work just fine. This is for AVM modules.

Curt
    Trikin

Similarly, when I tested system at office, on a cheap hub - problems were not. And so, misters what to do......? Streams are divided, in Cisco has switched off DHCP server, has appropriated IP the address - 10.0.0.201.
    MAX - IP 192.168.1.20
  • Options
    The MAX doles out the IP numbers, but other things going on on the network will definitely bog down your video stream. Do you really want your movies stuttering and burping because the teenage daughter is downloading music into iTunes? That's the point of using a managed switch, to partition out the media IP's from the control IP's, or to prioritize the media stream network. However, if you have the AVM's and the media NIC on the MAX on thier own network, a cheapie will do fine. It sounds to me you lack of success with a managed switch must be a screwball setting on the switch.