Home AMX User Forum AMX Resource Management Suite Software

Propogation of data from controller to RMS web interface...

So I have this in my code:
SEND_COMMAND vdvCLActions,"'SET ROOM INFO-Office,Downstairs,Chip'"

And sure enough, that info is reflected in the RMS web pages when I go to look at information on this system.

Shouldn't changes made to this statement cause an update to the data shown in the web interface? If I do this:
SEND_COMMAND vdvCLActions,"'SET ROOM INFO-Bing,Bang,Boom'"

and reboot, the RMS web pages still show this system as being the "Office". No mention anywhere of Bing, Bang >or< Boom. :(

- Chip

Comments

• Chip Moody wrote:
    So I have this in my code:
    SEND_COMMAND vdvCLActions,"'SET ROOM INFO-Office,Downstairs,Chip'"

And sure enough, that info is reflected in the RMS web pages when I go to look at information on this system.

Shouldn't changes made to this statement cause an update to the data shown in the web interface? If I do this:
    SEND_COMMAND vdvCLActions,"'SET ROOM INFO-Bing,Bang,Boom'"

and reboot, the RMS web pages still show this system as being the "Office". No mention anywhere of Bing, Bang >or< Boom. :(

- Chip

Hi Chip,

Once you send the string data the first time it reamins in the RMS database until you remove the room from your monitoring list. This allows you to edit the data within the RMS browser page and have it remain upon master reboots.

This is a commom question and consider this a system feature.
  • Thanks Brian. I will try to eradicate any/all reference to the room/system before trying again... :)

- Chip
  • There is actually a Tech Note (782) which explains this in more detail:
    -> Tech-Note 782: Room Info Not Changing In Meeting Manager or Asset Manager

Regards, Harald
  • Thanks Harald... I was preparing to post a rant here today, as I discovered last night when I deleted the Netlinx system from RMS (a painful process to begin with if you don't have the hardware right there in front of you, as the master needs to be offline from RMS in order for it to be deleted!) that when the master came back online that the PREVIOUS data persisted!

Of course, you pointed out something that I usually do as step 1 when I'm trying to figure something out - check the tech notes. :(

I don't like the reasoning behind this, so I'm going to try some code that deletes that file off the master at reboot and substitutes the information that the program code is trying to report to RMS. I mean, the master should have the freaking option of informing the RMS Admin that "hey, I used to be called this name at this location, now I'm this new name at this new location". (If nothing else, at least being able to do this with a new program load, if not every reboot)

Thank you for pointing me to the explanation of a truely frustrating and annoying "feature" of RMS so I can now implement a "solution" for it.

- Chip
  • RMS Room Name

Hi Chip,
    What if my room name or owner changed? Would I want the info reset everytime the master reboots? What if I didn't enter the info at all, do I want it blanked out on reboot? Some installations use the same code for some rooms, they usually don't want to enter the room info until it registers. There was much consideration given to this functionality, sorry it doesn't work as you desire.
    Regards,
    Doug Hall
  • Hey, that's fine, and maybe no one else cares about having the ability. It's just kinda bogus that there isn't an option for it, instead it requires a hack.

Could be worse - could've been unhackable.

- Chip