Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

M to M String Length Limit

Greetings,

Are there any know limitations in byte length of SEND_STRINGs between masters on the WAN? I am working on an application where I sometimes need to send 400-500 bytes.
The data is not critical, for entertainment purposes only. Are M to M SEND_STRINGS relatively reliable events? Should I be building in some sort of a checksum/retransmission methodology?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I try to keep them short because I like to be able to log them, and the telnet event log has a length limit that is fairly small. I have no idea what the actual M to M limit is, though I am sure it exists.

But they are quite reliable. I don't think you need be concerned about checksums, etc. If the connection exists at all, they go through, and if it doesn't, you get a device error as soon as you attempt a SEND_STRING (or COMMAND).
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Are there any know limitations in byte length of SEND_STRINGs between masters on the WAN? ...Should I be building in some sort of a checksum/retransmission methodology?
    I believe there is about a 2000 byte limit (give or take a few bytes) for a SEND_STRING. AFAIK, it's not a master to master limitation, it's just a SEND_STRING limitation. The SEND_COMMAND limit is much lower, I think it's somewhere around 200 bytes. And I agree with Dave, no need for a checksum.
  • The limit is the payload of an Ethernet packet. This was covered once in another thread. As Joe said, about 2000 bytes.