Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Best VNC server for Apple OSX?

A customer of ours has a bunch of Apples which he want's to control from a MVP-7500.
He tried the built-in VNC server and Chicken of the VNC, but he's not satisfied, because the screenupdate is too slow (full refresh about once every 10 seconds).

Under Windows I'd recommend him to install RealVNC server. But I'm not really into Apple software, so which VNC server would be best for him?

Thanks!
Leo

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I wonder if it's his VNC server or the connection itself. If it's an Apple Talk network, I don't think he's going to get any improvement no matter what he uses. Likewise, the MVP-7500 has a much slower GPU than the 8500, and is also contributing to the delay. This might not be fixable without hardware upgrades. I would certainly not spend any money on a commercial VNC product, I think the odds are high it would be a waste.

I've seen an extraordinary difference in VNC screen rendering based on connection. Streaming those screens can use a lot of bandwidth, and any bottleneck is going to affect it.
  • Options
    We are actually having problems with G4 and Chicken of the VNC. VNC on a mini-mac seems to hang every couple of days, but VNC connection to the mac with a PC is still possible.
    A Panel Reboot fixes it. Looks like a G4 problem.... Anyone got an idea?
  • Options
    Hello,

Which VNC viewer do you use under the never OSX versions (10.7, 10.8) to connect to the AMX Touch Panels?
    I use OSX 10.7, I have tried the built-in (I get a "keystrokes not supported"-warning and a black screen), chicken of the vnc (doesn't boot or show anything) the RealVNC Enterprise edition didn^t work either...
  • Options
    I'm trying to get this working with Mac OSX too, and all I can get is a black screen with newer versions of VNC. I do have an old version of VNC on one older mac, and it still works fine, but I can't get anything but a black screen from the panel with newer versions of VNC.

I've played around with color mode, etc. without any luck.
  • Options
    Ah Ha! I found it. You have to un-check the "Adapt to Network Speed" checkbox, and turn the quality slider up to "Best Quality". Then the panel graphics appear in VNC Player version E4.5.4, and E4.6.3. It even seems way snappier than with the Windows ActiveX equivalent.
  • Options
    Ah Ha! I found it. You have to un-check the "Adapt to Network Speed" checkbox, and turn the quality slider up to "Best Quality". Then the panel graphics appear in VNC Player version E4.5.4, and E4.6.3. It even seems way snappier than with the Windows ActiveX equivalent.

This resolved my issue. Thank you for the fix!!
    VNC Viewer 5.0.1