Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

RS-232 control of Projector with 2 devices

I have a situation where I will have an A/V cart with a AMX control system installed that can be wheeled into a room to give the room greater functionality. If the cart is not in the room, I would still like to have a basic RS-232 Extron control panel on the wall to turn the projector on/off and control sources. While I realized I can control the projector via IR from this device, I would prefer to use RS-232.

Has anyone ever tried to connect RS-232 in a parallel fashion so that if the cart would be in the room the projector would receive its RS-232 control codes from the cart and without the cart would receive the codes from the wall unit?

My thought would be to tie the wall plate 9 pin connector to into the TX, RX, GND of the Extron and then up to the projector so if the cart is plugged in the AMX RS-232 codes would go via the phoenix connector of the Extron control.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    You can't connect RS-232 devices in parallel. You need to switch the connections. Both connected at the same time would cause unpredictable results, and probably nothing good. It would probably work if the Extron was unplugged when the AMX was connected, and vica versa, but you are introducing a possible noise-generating point that may interfere with communications. I suggest you put in an A-B switch of some sort instead.
  • Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I believe you can get XLR connectors that have a microswitch that you can use to trigger something like relays or it might even be able to switch 2 poles.

If you need more information, I can look some up, but just send me a pm so I get it.

Ryan
  • Options
    ColinColin Posts: 51
    RS232 Patch

Why not put a discrete 2 x D9 connectors on a plate with a short patch lead for the Extron to PJ then unpatch to put the AMX in-situ. Alternatively use a stereo switch PMG socket normalised for the Extron panel - unconventional but would work.
  • Options
    dthorsondthorson Posts: 103
    Re:RS-232 control of Projector with 2 devices

You could add a 232 to IP converter box and control the device over IP.

Check out the "IPL T S2" on Extron's website.