Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NXA-AVB Power

Is the NXA-AVB A/V Breakout box capable of being powered by ICSNet?

Thanks...Sonny

Comments

• Sonny,

I have always had to supply separate 12VDC to these units.
    Unlike the NetLinx modules, they do not support power thru
    the ICSNet connection.

Also, the attachment of the touch panel would create a voltage drop issue through this connection.

VLCNCRZR
  • To be correct, you CAN power NXA-AVB via ISCNet for as long as you power up Modero panel separately.

In general, there are three power-up scenarios:

1) 12VDC power supply to the AVB with AVB power-through connection to the Modero panel
    2) 12VDC power supply to the AVB and 12VDC power supply to the Modero panel (for added redundancy)
    3) ICSNet power to the AVB and 12VDC power supply directly to the Modero panel.

(BTW. The fourth option - ICSNet power to the AVB and ICSNet power to the Modero panel - will NOT work. The panel can NOT be powered over ISCNet.)

Hope this helps!

MS
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    Thanks for the info...
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Interestingly enough, I have found you don't need the NXA-AVB at all for video only applications. I had a job that replaced CGA-10's with CV-12's, and we did not have wiring in place to run CAT5 video, but we did have a coax video line. These were in-wall panels, and there was no way I was going to drop a powered box in the wall behind it. At first I had baluns I pickup up at Smarthome.com to convert the video to an RJ-45 connection, but had a lot of trouble with adapters and connecter faults, and out of sheer frustration one day, spliced the coax directly to a piece of CAT5 and plugged it in. Worked fine, though I'm sure AMX will denounce this method officially :) .