Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Dedicated Micros Digital Sprite 2

Has anyone been able to display the video feed from a digital sprite 2 on an MVP-8400 touchpanel? I was just reading the new specs and it seems they support M-JPEG video feeds, but talking with their tech support doesn't yield any useful info thus far. I am in the process of applying to be part of their SDK program, but I figured I would ask here to see if anyone has had any luck.

Has anyone found a DVR unit for security cameras that integrates well with AMX and supports M-JPEG video?

Jeff

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    Has anyone found a DVR unit for security cameras that integrates well with AMX and supports M-JPEG video?

Jeff

I'm looking at one of these for a current project, ATV Falcon FA-XD16 coupled with a Talon 16 multiplexer. I don't think either has a native LAN video feed, but I'm not sure of that, and I don't particularly have a problem throwing an external one on an output of the multiplexer. I've used the multiplexers before, and they are very easy to control.
  • GasHedGasHed Posts: 31
    What we've done in the past is pipe the Camera DVR through an Axis video server which put the M-JPEG out on the web. Then, create a dynamic web image on the touch panel that updates every sec. Works pretty nice. You can even put DVR controls on that page and control the DVR or a PTZ camera. The response time is good enough for it to be usable.

Pat C
    TECHTERIORS, LLC
  • We use the GE DVMRE and I have also seen the Sprite 2, they are both nice DVRs and have AMX modules. The Sprite2 has even IR control. We also use Pelco multiplexers in most of our installs and like GasHed suggested we use the Axis video server to provide the M-JPEG feed to the MVP-8400. I like the Axis video server because you can adjust the video compression quality, size and frame rate.

In your case, you could:
    1) Have the Axis video server connected to the video output of the Sprite2

2) Create a Dynamic Image on the MVP-8400s. Since the Axis max res is 704x480, you will still have enough space to put the DVR control buttons on the same page as the Dynamic image window. See AMX tech Note # 682.

3) The Axis Server We use is the 241S. Use the 2CIF resolution.

Ricardo
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Ok, I appreciate the info. I have used the Axis video service in the past and it works well, I was just trying to avoid the additional expense because the DS2 does have an internet interface and it is providing video from the unit. If I do find a way to get the address of the video feed and it is M-JPEG (since they are storing M-JPEG), I will post the specifics.

Jeff
  • Hey Jeff

I'm looking at getting the M-JPEG video feed from a Sprite2 onto an 8400 also.
    Have you had any luck with this?

thanks
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    After quite a few hours (and a couple non-disclosures) I finally came to the conclusion that they really don't have any intention to change the way they are sending the graphics. The only way to do it is to use an external video to IP device such as the Axis piece. You can get the video from the unit, but it is very squished... they are doing a sort of interlacing that is handled by the client software they provide (Read this as UNABLE to happen on AMX as far as I know).

This problem as well as their removal of the ability to use the event log via 232 have prompted us to explore other options for future projects. They really seem to have little regard for even maintaining their exist functionality in new version of the firmware.

Jeff
  • The DS2's don't use Motion JPEG format as you've discovered, so they can't be accessed by an MVP directly. But if you have to get event data, you can setup the device to report via email on an event towards the AMX Master as the Email Handler. You'd have to setup a mini SMTP host on the master but it would work. I had to do this in one scenerio, but it got messy once the masters started having their "Too many Sockets being opened" firmware bug. It was a messy scenerio, but technically should work now since AMX fixed the bug.
  • me too

I've had some interest here too...video display on Modero panels from the Dedicated Micros DVR. Haven't put my hands on one yet, but interested in anything you find out.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • SamkAMXSamkAMX Posts: 29
    streaming video

i was able to do this with streaming video using cgi commands