Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

TPI4 blurry video

I've got a TPI4 driving an ELO touchpanel. The touchpanel graphics look nice and sharp. Video from an RGB card shown in a video window - even at native resolution (1024x768) is extremely blurry. I've messed around with the Phase, Horiz. size and position, and Vert. position, brightness, and contrast settings in the TPi4 setup, but haven't been able to improve the quality of the video much.

Are there any tips or tricks to sharpening up video fed through a TPI4?

Comments

• I'm going to bring this up again because all our users are complaining about the blurry video. I've called AMX about the problem but they didn't have any suggestions on how to improve it. They didn't seem very interested in the issue; I got the feeling they felt like they were just dealing with a crank phone call.

Am I correct that the TPI4 RGB cards essentially convert RGB to composite video and pass that to the TPI4 itself, then the TPI4 scales and converts back to RGB to send to the panel? If so, I understand why the video wouldn't be as crisp as the original RGB. But... the blurriness is really bad - like I said everyone is complaining about it. There seems to be a 2-5 pixel horizontal wash across the video. All the RGB cards (I have 8 total in 2 TPI4's) deliver about the same quality in either of the TPI4's I've got.

Does anyone else have experience using RBG cards in TPI4's? Any tips on making the video coming into RGB cards as crisp as possible on the output display?
  • No the output of the RGB card is not composite video which the TPI4 converts back to RGB.

What is the source of the RGB signal, and have you viewed it directly on a monitor to see how the signal is going into the TP4-RGB?

The typical adjustment on the TPI4 that adjusts RGB sharpness is the phase adjustment.

If every card on both units are blurry, my first thought would be the signal quality feeding the cards. It could be cable or source, but it might be worth checking if you haven't already.
  • I can hook my computer directly up to a monitor and it looks really sharp. If I re-direct the output of the computer through the TPI4 and then back to the monitor, all the TPI4-generated graphics - buttons and the like - are really sharp. The video coming through the RGB card, however, is just really blurry.

The video being sent is 1024x768 @ 60hz, and the video window that the video is being displayed in is 1024x768. The Elo touchscreen monitor itself is 1280x1024 @ 60hz.

I've messed around with the Phase setting before and couldn't see any improvement. I will work spend more time going through the range of settings for phase.

Thanks,
  • The default phase setting of 0, or maybe one bump down from that, seem to provide the sharpest image. The rest of the phase settings make it worse, not better.