Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware MAX by AMX
Options

MAX Monitoring Program

Greetings,
I am need of a bit of assistance attempting to program a monitoring program for MAX. I recently upgraded a customer from a 12mms to an HT series MAX. The MMS was problematic and difficult to keep running consistently. I am wanting to monitor the MAX and have an eMail sent to me if the unit quites responding. So far in my experience MAX needs to be babysat. Since this is a vacation home, it is sometimes monthes between MAX getting accessed.

The Module supplies this if the unit is online and responding to requests.

Line 43 :: CIpEvent::OffLine 0:5:1 - 12:38:08
Line 44 :: Connected Successfully - 12:38:12
Line 45 :: CIpEvent::OnLine 0:5:1 - 12:38:12
Line 46 :: Exiting TCP Read thread - closing this socket for local port 5 - 12:38:12

The module Supplies this if the MAX is offline.

Line 332 :: IPSocketManConnectTask - Connection Refused - 12:42:57
Line 333 :: CIpEvent::OnError 0:5:1 - 12:42:57

I can also send POWER? to the virtual device and it will respond with POWER=1 if it is ON.

Can anyone provide me with some insite on how I might begin coding this?? I already have Send Mail running to alert the home owner when the Alarm is disarmed via an Email message to his cell phone. So that part atleast works.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Create a timeline that runs once every fifteen minutes or so. Whenever you see the CIPEvent:Online event for the proper port, reset the timeline to 0. If the timeline every reaches the end of it's timeout, send your email then.

For your program to see these events as they happen, you need to have the master telnet itself and leave that connection running with "msg on." You can then use the STRING handler on that connection to test for your CIPEvent.
  • Options
    Is there a way to NOT have the MAX module send out the connection state every second? I understand I can send msg off, it is just hard to debug anything else when the max is constantly sending this.

Curt
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    TrikinCurt wrote:
    Is there a way to NOT have the MAX module send out the connection state every second? I understand I can send msg off, it is just hard to debug anything else when the max is constantly sending this.

Curt

Nope. It's not really the MAX sending this, it's the NetLinx master itself saying an IP connection was made, then disconnected. It's a built-in message that can't be turned off (that I know of). The MAX, like many IP devices, works on the paradigm that it goes online, processes the current command, and drops the connections. It's like an HTML server that way, everything is done in bursts. So, every time your module needs to know the state of the MAX server, it's making a connection, getting the info, and then it drops.

I have a logging module that allows me to filter out harmless messages like this, as well as send e-mail alerts on specific keywords. You may want to check it out: http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=1187 . There are several versions posted in that thread, be sure to grab the latest one if you want to give it a try :).