Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

MVP Panel falls Offline

An install with a NI3100 and 2 MVP7500 panels, both panels run identical TP4 designs.

The client reported that the 2nd Panel drops offline repeatedly. This was verified on-site, with good wireless connection but no connection to the master, Panel otherwise ok. 1st panel is absolutely fine and has never dropped off once. Master OK and fully responsive.

Only method to restore connection to system for Panel 2 was with a reboot of the master. Reboot of Panel 2 makes no difference - if connected - reconnects ok, if offline - stays offline.

Swapped out the wireless AP and improvement noted - less dropouts. No IP conflicts, no other network devices. Panels are in a dividing room so not environmental differences.

Panel 2 has again started dropping offline again!!

Everything has latest firmware.

Any thoughts other than swapping the panel?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    My guess would be some sort of environmental interference; some device on the same bandwidth stepping on the signal. A certain amount of this can't be avoided though. If it doesn't affect operations, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it comes back online right away.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    My guess would be some sort of environmental interference; some device on the same bandwidth stepping on the signal. A certain amount of this can't be avoided though. If it doesn't affect operations, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it comes back online right away.

It's possible as well there is something in the code like a lot of traffic to the panels causing congestion. I have a job where the wired panels drop off and on sporadically; but they do this so quickly, you would never know except by reading the log.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    What type of access point are you using?
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Panel Offline

It was on a newer AMX WAP250, swapped this to an older WAP200G which had been working fine on my desk for months and months.

I don't believe there is an environmental reason - the panels are in effect side by side, panel 1 has never dropped off, panel 2 does regularly and doesn;t come back on. TP file is identical and so is the code running both panels on the master...
    When it drops offline, the panel still shows a v. good wireless signal, just no master connection - its set to URL not auto
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Just out of pure curiosity, have you tried swapping the wireless cards in the panels? We had a similar issue and swapped cards between the two and determined that for one reason or another - neither panel particularly cared for the "bad" card. Just a suggestion.
    Bad CF Cards

Interesting... When I've had to upgrade the CF Wireless Cards to accept European Wireless Channels (ie upto 13), most cards accept this update and work fine, others error on the update but work fine on the US only channels (upto 11)...

I'll give it a try later in the week and see what happens!!!

Thanks
  • I have the same symptom on one site, but it's not wireless. Thankfully it's not very frequent.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Jimweir192 wrote:
    It was on a newer AMX WAP250, swapped this to an older WAP200G which had been working fine on my desk for months and months.

I don't believe there is an environmental reason - the panels are in effect side by side, panel 1 has never dropped off, panel 2 does regularly and doesn;t come back on. TP file is identical and so is the code running both panels on the master...
    I would try several other things too.

1. Try shifting the WAP channel.
    2. Definitely swap to another vendors WAP and monitor the behavior.

My two bobs worth
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Might be a network switch problem too, the port to the second master might be flakey or some people have experienced problems with particular network switches.

You might also want to set the master to 10/half instead of auto detecting
    Serious Stuff

Thanks for all the suggestions. Having just got back from site, we have discovered the problem. Next door is... Nortel Networks test labs! Serious randomly occuring interference on broad spectrum both in 2.4GHz range and surrounding freqs... changes from minute to minute, obviously not operational during construction phase...

Solution was to put entire system on to Nortel supplied WLAN (which is designed to be protected!) quite why or how the customer knew / warned this would effect their IT WLAN but not the AV system is anyones guess... Thank god MVP's have proper encryption built in nowadays.

Lesson - Never, ever rule out the environmentals!!