Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

PC1 and PC2 with 220v?

bobbob Posts: 296
I know the PC1 and PC2 are 110v US only, but has anyone tried using them with 220v like in Europe? Any hints for similar devices to use with 220v?

Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I believe European 220volts is similar to US 120volts where as they are both their voltage to ground on a single hotleg with single ground return path. US 240 actually uses two hot legs and each leg is 120volts to ground and 180 degrees out of phase which each other so you get 240volts when measuring from between the two legs.

Because Eurpean 220volts is basically the same as US 120volts a PCS would probably work as it really does nothing to the AC passing through it other that an inductive reactance through a current sensing coil. You would need need a European plug adapter kit and you should check the device listing to see if this is permitted. US 240 volts you could do something similar to just one leg (both legs draw equal current) but why play around with adapting power cords and the like when there are plenty of current sensing equipment available out there. Some you just wrap the cord or a single hot leg around an induction coil. Do a google for current sensors or current sensing relays and you should find tons of stuff. Then you can go straight to an IO or to the IO via another relay.
  • Options
    NMarkRobertsNMarkRoberts Posts: 455
    AMX Australia formerly AV Technology has a large range of 240v switching and sensing gear. The tech info is in the member's section of their website. I imagine that the local distributor for your relevant country has also solved the problem.
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    @vining: you are basicaly right about the european 240v being one hot leg and one neutral plus the ground. I am interested in the PC2 not in the PCS and was thinking to just try it out :-) but I don't have one handy right now. I also thinkg that it does nothing to the current basically just passing it through (interesting about the fuse though).

@NMarkRobers: Thanks much for the hint. The local distributor has basically 220v switching gear which is placed on rails in the electrical distribution panel which is not the same as the PC2 box making a nice fit near AV gear in the rack. I will try and check the australian AMX page.