Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Extending NetWave Range

Greetings,

Can the Range of one 2-way Viewpoint be extended by the use of multiple AXR-NWS boxes? If not, is there any other way to extend the range of a single Viewpoint beyond the range limitations of one AXR-NWS?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Some kind of "Extending the range of a NWS" can only be done manually.

1) set different Group IDs on the NWS'
    2) create some buttons on the VPN panel to select a Group ID manually by OnBoard Commands

From the VPN manual:
    ----
    The table below lists string commands you can assign to buttons using the Touch Panel editor.

Select the PROPERTIES option in the Edit bar, press the target button, and enter the string
    command with the Touch Panel keyboard. Then, the string command is sent to the control system
    when you press the button.

Button String Commands
    $ID Sets the group ID number on VPN panels.
    Syntax: "?$ID,<group ID>?"
    Variables: group ID = 0 (Off) - 15
    Example: "?$ID 15?"
    ----

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jeffacojeffaco Posts: 121
    I do this very thing in my home.

I have panels that can roam from room to room. If you move a panel to a new room, you need to tell the master what room you're now in (it then changes the panel over to screens customized for the room you're in).

When you select a new room, the panel also selects the closest NetWave server to that room. It works well.

-- Jeff
  • Options
    I also was jsut recently at a job where they used an RF extender device to get AXLINK where it was not. Basically it is 2 devices a server and a reciever and the AXLINK connection is transmitted wirelessly to the rcvr box. This can help when you need to add say an AXB-TC, NWS, and subsequent VPW, to an area that was not pre-wired for AXLINK, Hope that helps.
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Originally posted by jeffaco

I have panels that can roam from room to room. If you move a panel to a new room, you need to tell the master what room you're now in (it then changes the panel over to screens customized for the room you're in).

When you select a new room, the panel also selects the closest NetWave server to that room. It works well.

-- Jeff

Jeff,

Would you please share the details how to implement the roaming? I am not so familiar with G3 panels and now confuse with the issue. My environment is a few VPN-CP... Thank you.
  • Options
    jeffacojeffaco Posts: 121
    Hi Maxifox,
    Would you please share the details how to implement the roaming? I am not so familiar with G3 panels and now confuse with the issue. My environment is a few VPN-CP... Thank you.

Did you see the message from Marc Scheibein? That was pretty clear, I thought.

Basically, I have a series of rooms in my home, each controlled via one "master" NetLinx processor. Each touchpanel has all the pages it needs to control any device in any room.

The master keeps track of what room a panel is set to. When I tell the master that a panel is in the "Family Room", say, then I get a page customized for the family room. That way, my code knows which DVD player to control, for example.

Furthermore, when I hit the "I'm in the family room" button, in addition to notifying the NetLinx master where I am, it also sets the ID of the panel to the closest NWS to that room. End result: I can move a panel from room to room, and it all works.

Note that I tend to switch to the new room BEFORE moving the panel there, simply to guarentee that I still have good connectivity to be able to do that. If I do NOT have good connectivity, then I may have to hit the "I'm in the family room" button twice (once to set the ID, and restore communications with NetLinx master, and then once so the NetLinx master actually sees the button push - thus causing a page flip for the family room).

Hope this helps. If not, please be explicit on exactly where you're confused.

-- Jeff
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Thank you, Jeff. Now I can understand the idea and implementation. Sorry but I never used this stuff (group IDs, TP device bases) and now I need to work with it, so it is new for me...