Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Vantage Controls Module & help

Does anyone have the Vantage Module de-compiled, the AXS file. All there seems to be is the TKO in the InConcert area. I'm new to all this, so if anyone could help me out with the essentials in getting AMX talking with Vantage, that would be great. Just need to send out serial commands to Vantage from AMX.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Vantage InConcert Module(s)

You don't need the AXS source file for the module in order to communicate with and control the Vantage system. Most of the AMX (or manufacturer) modules posted on the InConcert site do not provide source code - only the binary compiled TKO or token file. While this is a pain for those that wish to customize the module, we don't have a lot of choice. AMX says that many of the manufacturers do not permit the source to be released (or for the external control protocol to be published).

You can however import the TKO token file into your Studio 1.2 or 2.2 project and then interface to the module for control purposes as described in the Interface Specification document. This document is typically included as part of the module package on the InConcert site. It describes the command strings to send to the control module as well as the feedback strings you can expect from it. The package also typically includes a sample touchpanel file as well as a main program sample with device definitions and a module declaration example. So, unless you absolutely require source code, build a project and incorporate the TKO file to do what you want to do.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi jjames,

AMX does not release the source code to their modules (although it would be great if they did.) All you need is the .tko file to get up and running. The module zip contains a file called VantageQ.doc which explains how to implement the AMX module.

If you want to talk to Vantage directly and bypass using the module completely then you will need the Vantage protocol.

Cheers,
    Joe
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Well, thanks for the very quick replies. I'm originally a Vantage programmer, and the house that we're using AMX with is fully "Vantagized", so to have AMX directly say "VSW 1 88 3 1" to Vantage would be great. Thanks for all your help, and for explaing the rules of the road here at AMX.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    That module has a "Pass-Thru" command. You can use it to bypass re-inventing the wheel, and just implement the pass through on the things it doesn't cover.

With any NetLinx module, there is nothing preventing you from sending strings directly to the device, bypassing the module altogether, and likewise for processing feedback - as long as the module doesn't override commands when it sees something unexpected happening.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi Dave,

Isn't it best practice to use the Pass-Thru command vs. sending directly to the device when using a module? I'm thinking of cases where the module might be queuing commands, or polling on a timed basis, or might implement retries and a command direct to the device could produce undesirable side-effects.

Joe

Originally posted by DHawthorne
    With any NetLinx module, there is nothing preventing you from sending strings directly to the device, bypassing the module altogether, and likewise for processing feedback - as long as the module doesn't override commands when it sees something unexpected happening.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Originally posted by Joe Hebert
    Hi Dave,

Isn't it best practice to use the Pass-Thru command vs. sending directly to the device when using a module? I'm thinking of cases where the module might be queuing commands, or polling on a timed basis, or might implement retries and a command direct to the device could produce undesirable side-effects.

Joe
    Yes, if it has a pass through, it's always better to use it. I was just saying you could bypass the module altogether if you really had to, not that it would necessarily be a good idea :).
  • Options
    DenisDenis Posts: 163
    Protocol
    jjames wrote:
    Well, thanks for the very quick replies. I'm originally a Vantage programmer, and the house that we're using AMX with is fully "Vantagized", so to have AMX directly say "VSW 1 88 3 1" to Vantage would be great. Thanks for all your help, and for explaing the rules of the road here at AMX.

Hi guys

What is exact string to send?
    I tried

DATA_EVENT [dvVANTAGE]
    {
    ONLINE:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvVANTAGE, "'SET BAUD 19200,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'"
    }
    }

BUTTON_EVENT [dvTP_LIGHT,100]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvVANTAGE, "'VSW 1 67 1 1 [CR]'"
    }
    }

The command don't execute and NI seem don't send command on port where I connected my Vantage controler

I use NI3000 and Vantage CBox LE

Tanks for any clue
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    COMMANDS are sent to AMX devices, STRINGS are sent to other devices.

You'll need to set it up like so:

BUTTON_EVENT[dvTP_LIGHT,100]
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING dvVANTAGE, "'VSW 1 67 1 1',13"
    }
    }
  • Options
    DenisDenis Posts: 163
    Tanks

Tanks JJames

Tanks for quickly answer. I tried it and it's work nice

I'm begining in this world ( Vanatge and AMX) and I have somme little problems to understanding difference between strig and command

Regards
    Denis