Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Telnet tutorial

2»

Comments

• HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    As I wrote, the only way I know of to simulate a button press is to use the diagnostics functionality of Studio. It's a little clunky, though. When you activate the emulate popup, you can't utilize any of the other functionality of Studio until you close the popup. Sometimes I'd like to examine the code while simulating button presses, but you can't browse the code while the popup is open. Often times I'll open up the code files in an editor (Emacs or Ultraedit) so that I can look through them while using diagnostics -- or so that I can have multiple views of the same code file accessible simultaneously.

I suppose one thing that could be done, would be to add a virtual device channel event to execute a do_push. That could be manipulated via telnet with the appropriate button number being extracted inside the channel event.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Hedberg wrote:
    As I wrote, the only way I know of to simulate a button press is to use the diagnostics functionality of Studio. It's a little clunky, though. When you activate the emulate popup, you can't utilize any of the other functionality of Studio until you close the popup. Sometimes I'd like to examine the code while simulating button presses, but you can't browse the code while the popup is open. Often times I'll open up the code files in an editor (Emacs or Ultraedit) so that I can look through them while using diagnostics -- or so that I can have multiple views of the same code file accessible simultaneously.

I suppose one thing that could be done, would be to add a virtual device channel event to execute a do_push. That could be manipulated via telnet with the appropriate button number being extracted inside the channel event.

NetLinx Diagnostics has the identical emulator. You can run that in one window, and view your results in Studio.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    DHawthorne wrote:
    NetLinx Diagnostics has the identical emulator. You can run that in one window, and view your results in Studio.

Amazing. It never occurred to me to run the separate diagnostics application; that there would be functionality there that was not equaled in diagnostics run from Studio itself. You can, for example, tab between various diagnostics functions without closing a popup and reselecting an item from a drop-down menu.