Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Niles GXR2 Intergrataion

Was wondering if anyone has used the Niles GXR2 / AMX module?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    They have a module now? I'll have to test that out at the store.

Kevin D.
  • TrikinCurtTrikinCurt Posts: 158
    I haven't used the one from AMX, but had already made my own. The bad new is, the GXR2 can only listen to one "room" at a time! You won't get feedback from everything going on, just the one zone you choose to listen to. Changing a room can be a 3 second pause. Niles told me they are not currently working on making this any better. Lost one GXR2 sale for me...

Curt
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I too rolled my own for use with the RS232G box. It was pretty straightforward, but the one-zone limit forced me to install one for each touch panel in the system to insure no control conflicts if more than one person was accessing the GXR2.
  • ondrovicondrovic Posts: 217
    Thanks for the feedback
    Dave,

So you used multiple RS232 gateways and it worked out? I was tempted to try that approach, but throwing out the GXR2 seemed easier :)

Curt
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    TrikinCurt wrote:
    Dave,

So you used multiple RS232 gateways and it worked out? I was tempted to try that approach, but throwing out the GXR2 seemed easier :)

Curt
    Yeah, it worked fine. How I wish I had the option of throwing the GXR2 out, but with half a dozen Contact panels that the customer didn't want to upgrade to AMX, I really didn't have that option.
    Yup - I am a little more lucky, the touch panels are AMX - just wanted to use the GXR2 as a (relatively) cheap way to get 3 HD radio tuners, 1 XM tuner, and two iPod docks.

Anyone know of an RS232 HD Tuner? Or anyone worked with the ADA TuneSuite (or Quad)? Expensive, but the only thing I see.

When will Polk release a cheap standalone like their XM tuner???
  • ondrovicondrovic Posts: 217
    TrikinCurt wrote:
    Yup - I am a little more lucky, the touch panels are AMX - just wanted to use the GXR2 as a (relatively) cheap way to get 3 HD radio tuners, 1 XM tuner, and two iPod docks.

Anyone know of an RS232 HD Tuner? Or anyone worked with the ADA TuneSuite (or Quad)? Expensive, but the only thing I see.

When will Polk release a cheap standalone like their XM tuner???

I have used the ada tunesuite great product only thing that needs to be done to make it perfect, is to add an xm guide ,other than that great piece of equipment
  • GXR2 Module Woes

I just got off the phone with Niles to see if they had any familiarity with it. Unfortunately, they don't. The most difficult thing with these duet modules seems to be the fact that you can't investigate to see what is broken.

I have worked on a partial module to control everything, but I ended up in different directions and haven't finished it yet.

Does anyone have one that they would be willing to share? Or has anyone "fixed" this one?