Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Accessing a resource using a Windows UNC Path

Hi,

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question but I am very new to AMX programming!

I am writing some code to integrate with an iDyl media server and want to show the cover art on a CV5 panel. The server interface sends me back a UNC path to the JPG, e.g.

\\servername\somedir\somesubdir\coverartfile.jpg

I understand that I need to use the ^RAF/^RMF commands to load/modify a TP resource however these commands require the use of HTTP or FTP to access the resource. I know it is possible to use 'file://' in IE to access the resource using a UNC path but I assume this will not work on the 3100.

Is there a way of using a UNC path with the HTTP implementation on the 3100 or do I need to speak to the media server developers to get them to implement an HTTP server on the box and make the resources available using that?

Many thanks in advance

Jez

Comments

• I know this is an old post, but if anyone else has the same question (I did!):

1. You can't access files by UNC at all, short of implementing the SMB protocol through AMX code, which is pretty low on the feasibility scale.

2. The iDyl also runs a web server on a non-standard port that lets you access the cover art. The - untested - notes I have here say:

http://ip_of_idyl:8081/audio/ARTIST/ALBUM/folder.jpg
    http://ip_of_idyl:8081/video/DVDNAME/folder.jpg

Where ARTIST, ALBUM and DVDNAME are replaced with the relevant information. I would assume these directly correlate to some of the information that comes back with the UNC path.

Hope this helps someone!
  • Don't spend too much time on this unless you need to as there is an Idyl module on its way which should have full functionality built in.
  • sridley wrote:
    Don't spend too much time on this unless you need to as there is an Idyl module on its way which should have full functionality built in.
    Yes, that's good advice - I actually spoke to the programmer writing the module yesterday.

I suppose it depends which way you want to go with it though, a full manufacturer-provided driver, UI and all, or a smaller more focused bit of code that slots into a bespoke design. (That you have to support yourself of course!)

Each to their own. :)