Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware MAX by AMX
Options

AVM Network Boot problems

adysadys Posts: 395
2 weeks ago, when we installed the AVM, we got this error:

"No DHCP or proxy DHCP offers were received.
Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

We have a web managed swich and according to AMX the solution is:

"Set spanning tree to port fast for each port that has an AVM connected, or disable
the spanning tree protocol. The spanning tree dampens broadcasts, so the request
never makes it to the AVM"

Tech note 732:
http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=732

Everything was ok, the AVM worked.

Today we add more 3 AVM, and they are giving the same error.
We disconnected the working AVM and connected them again - and - guess what - every AVM that is disconnected from power - is not booting again...we get the same boot error

Reboot for server is not helping, removing all AVM from list is not helping too.
(one of them don't want to be deleted - some serial linux path shows instead of the serial number)

Configuring switch (3COM Baseline Switch 2226 Plus) again to disable spannig tree, for device and for every port, reboot switch, nothins is working.
We moved to non managed switch, only server and one AVM, same thing...

Any idea what to do?

When server is rebooting, I see that dhcpd is failed. maybe its connected to this?

And how do I connected to support of the MAX?

Thanks,

Ady.

Comments

• Options
    Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    last things first - to connect to tech support telnet into the server - via winmax if you prefer... and login, then from the menu go to online tech support, you'll get the command setting up ssh connection. You then need to ring tech support and give them the ser no of the server. They can then pick up the connection and run the diagnostics.

The AVM's are not the best, if you can swap them for AVP's then a lot of problems will disappear (from costly experience).

Don't use an unmanaged switch, have you got split VLAN's setup for the Media & Control Networks? Ensure there is nothing on the Media VLAN apart from the Server(Media side) and the AVM's. Try a different managed switch - I've had good success with the Netgear models.

The AVM's must be added to the server list prior to connection to the LAN, basically your adding the MAC address of each AVM to allow the server to allocate an IP address, usually 10.0.0.x. Connect up (up Bootup) each AVM in turn waiting for each to fully load before starting off the next.

HTH
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Disk failures are normal on an AVM; they don't have one. They boot off the network. So if they don't boot, it's a network issue. As mentioned, they must be defined in the MAX server first. Also, make sure they are plugged into your media stream network, and not the control network (and if you are using the same, I strongly urge you to break them apart with separate wiring and at least a partitioned switch).
  • Options
    adysadys Posts: 395
    Thanks guys, here is the update...

Everything was good with the switch and the network. We are using a seperate switch only for this network.

From some reason, even support dont undestad how we did it :) , there was 2 AVM with the same name - (but diff serials)

I guess a wrong rename or something.

The support logged into the system, delete the AVM from the list, and everything is working as it should. We earned a firmware update on the way..

We still have one avm that refuse to boot, when we connect to other network point its working, but not in its point.
    Network cable checked from point to point, we changed port in the switch, we changed AVM unit and its not working in this netowork point.
    Not from Winmax and not from TP.

Whats left to do is to try and put a working AVM in this point and see whats happening.

I will check it next week and I will update whats going on, if someone have an idea I will love to hear.