Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

AXB-MSE and USB adaptor.

I have a project that was sold with an AXB-MSE for the presenter to be able to control some system functions as well as a laptop providing material for a projector. I had the MSE connected to my own laptop via the PS2 ports and it worked fine. Unfortunately, the customer's laptop (purchase specifically as a media presentation machine, already bought and paid for) has no PS2 ports either on the machine itself or in the dock that is part of the media system. "No problem," I thought, "I'll get a PS2-USB adaptor." Seemed like a good idea, but it doesn't work. The laptop seems the device, even say I have a mouse connected (I haven't tried keystrokes), but the MSE will not give me mouse control like it did plugged directly into PS2 ports.

Has anyone had any experience connecting an MSE to a computer with no PS2 ports? I would really hate to have to eat this thing.

Comments

• Options
    Dear Dave! I would use universal port replicator - there's that kind of devices(eg Toshiba PX1098E-1PRP USB 2.0 Port Replicator or there's a bunch of noname ones) You conect it to USB and get additional ports (PS/2 also). The thing like USB>2>PS/2 doesn't really works - reason - for computer it looks like USB device. And in your case you need native PS/2 device (which is different). Port replicator should workaround that problem by adding software emulated PS/2 ports, which will be native PS/2 for your computer. Another good thing to do before bying port replicator is trying different adapetrs from different manufacturers (but I strongly doubt it would work). Good luck, D.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Originally posted by brooklyn79
    Dear Dave! I would use universal port replicator - there's that kind of devices(eg Toshiba PX1098E-1PRP USB 2.0 Port Replicator or there's a bunch of noname ones) You conect it to USB and get additional ports (PS/2 also). The thing like USB>2>PS/2 doesn't really works - reason - for computer it looks like USB device. And in your case you need native PS/2 device (which is different). Port replicator should workaround that problem by adding software emulated PS/2 ports, which will be native PS/2 for your computer. Another good thing to do before bying port replicator is trying different adapetrs from different manufacturers (but I strongly doubt it would work). Good luck, D.
    I'll look into that, but Tech Support has told me the problem is that the MSE is based on older PS2 technology, and has timing issues with newer machines. I had three laptops to test my generic PS2-USB adapter wioth, and only one of the three worked - and it was the oldest machine (since retired). If these devices have legacy PS2 support, I may be able to make it work. Meanwhile, I bought an HP media center remote (which is essentially an IR receiver with a USB connection) and captured the remote. I'll pass along MSE mouse evnets to that. I haven't actually tried that out yet, though I expect it will be cludgy at best, not having the fine mouse control one expects from a pointing device.