Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Routers for larger projects?

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what others were using for routers on their projects. Most routers are limited to around 20 in the number of port forwards you can enter. If you like to manage these projects remotely, a simple project that uses 10 or so pieces that require remote access can use all those ports up really quickly (e.g. ICSP port forwards for Netlinx Masters, Telnet Port Forwards for Netlinx Masters, Port forwards for VNC access to touchpanels, Port forwards for Router remote management access, Port forwards for Security DVRs, Lighting Systems, etc...).

Sveasoft makes some firmware upgrades to standard Linksys routers that improve the features dramatically. Has anyone used them before?

We've typically been managing the port forwards remotely so that we can add and delete them as needed. For example if we need to access Netlinx Master # 11 and we're out of port forward rules, we would remotely go into the router, remove a port forward rule that we're not using for this session, add the ICSP port forward for Master #11, then do the same thing next time we need to access something different. I'm sure there's a better way.

--John

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Use routers that support VPN and forget about port forwarding.
  • joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    I like Netscreen (Juniper bought them) Firewalls, they are sophisticated boxes and have great performance. I have not directly used the SonicWall, but a customer of mine uses them. I prefer Netscreen over the rest.

http://www.techdefenders.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=2

I have implemented buttons on the touch panel for the homeowner to control port profiles. It gives the security anxious homeowner peace of mind.

I have not heard of Sveasoft before. I would be quite uneasy about using some firmware that came from a company outside of US jurisdiction for my my security needs. Who knows what kind of racket they make be involved in - just a thought.
  • joelwjoelw Posts: 175
    You can also offload the PPPoE stack from the DSL/Cable modem to the Netscreen depending on the DSL/Cable modem. More secure and offers slightly better performance.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    My company has been using Sonicwall products recently and they have been working well. The VPN is great and as an added bonus, the total secure package comes with gateway antivirus and anti-spyware (nice selling point while still maintaining separation from dealing with their PCs :) )

Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    My company has been using Sonicwall products recently and they have been working well. The VPN is great and as an added bonus, the total secure package comes with gateway antivirus and anti-spyware (nice selling point while still maintaining separation from dealing with their PCs :) )

Jeff

We too like Sonic Wall and also use the Fire Box. For some of our larger homes where the client does a lot of business from home, we use Cisco.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vining wrote:
    Use routers that support VPN and forget about port forwarding.

Absolutely. If you have to forward more than three ports, go VPN. In many cases, VPN makes better sense no matter how many ports you need, but definitely when dealing with more than one master or panel, VPN will make your life considerably easier.
  • I'm sure there's a better way.

I knew there was a better way :). Such a simple solution, but I didn't even consider using VPN. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the endorsements of the Sonicwall and Netscreens products too. We've been eyeballing the Sonicwall line for a while. I'll start taking a peek at those and the ones that Joel recommended and see if we can get one into our office to play with.

--John
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    As an alternative to Sveasoft, a friend of mine (senior level admin) also recommends ASUS wl500g with OpenWrt Kamikaze. Or Cisco 870.