Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware Matrix Distributed Audio

Matrix Audio volume on keypads

[rant]

What a let down that when you change a souce and/or volume-mute status on the Matrix Audio Switcher keypads the unit does not volunteer the status change to the AMX module. In other words, change sources using the Matix keypads, the AMX system still thinks it's on the old source. Apparently, according to AMX tech support, the module is storing phoney bologna feedback that is not based upon real information. The documentation states this as well on the last line, so I guess it's buyer beware...

Hopefully, they will make the change in the firmware of the Matrix next time 'round...

[/rant]

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Yeah, the system leaves a lot to be desired and is actually a pain to integrate with AMX cuz it's slow and stupid. You pretty much need to poll constantly and the MA devices can't really handle that much communications, although they're better now that they are the 9600 baud rate.

I had a retrofit job that only had volume controls and I thought this was a god send cuz I learned about the speaker wire technology the day befoe my meeting. I think I would have been better of old working in new wires.

Where are the 120v retrofit zigbee keypads in a restyled (attractive) classic keypad design??????

On the system I did I ran a slow MST poll which incremented through zones one at a time at a zone per second rate so on an eight zone system I had a complete update every eight seconds. I could have gone faster but I guess I didn't care or I just didn't want to push the MA capabilities. Typically if you use one of these it's likely a low number of zones.

I made a lot of modifications to the code (except the comm module cuz AMX wouldn't release it) but time retraints didn't allow me to do a complete module from scratch especially on a piece of equipment I will hopefullt never use again at least in it's current state. I can only assume that AMX has something big in the works which will incorporate a complete self contained (built in master, reall keypads, etc.) system similar to C's.

I'd be happy to share the code and the gui I have as it will likely never, ever again see the light of day. Knock on wood.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    vining wrote:
    Yeah, the system leaves a lot to be desired and is actually a pain to integrate with AMX cuz it's slow and stupid. You pretty much need to poll constantly.

I was told that the feedback issue is fixed and you now receive feedback from every matrix button push. I ordered one so I'll let you know.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    GSLogic wrote:
    I was told that the feedback issue is fixed and you now receive feedback from every matrix button push. I ordered one so I'll let you know.

I had to write my own polling routine. That did the trick. I beleive I have the latest version of the module. So, the person at AMX helpline said...
  • I think they've updated the firmware on the Matrix/Tango pieces to send out asynchronous feedback.
  • Yes. They did. Now whenever a status changes on the Matrix unit, it will send an unsolicited status string. The feedback strings are already included in the module so you should just have to trigger on events like volume, source change, etc.
  • alvinyowalvinyow Posts: 27
    Matrix Audio Cracking Sound

Hi
    We had quite a funny problem here. We had install 8 pcs of Matrix audio amplifier and the MI controller....
    Total 8 Zone alltogether. Each unit of the amplifier are driving 120W Jamo Ceiling Speaker. Some amplifier will hv total of 8 pcs Jamo Spk. Some Amplifier will drive a mixture of Jamo and AMX SWT speaker.
    The sound is great when the system first start-up. After few hour, the cracking sound become more vry noticeable. The sound had become totally unacceptable. Would this because of the heavy load of the spk?
    Each amplifier channel only driving 1 spk. For the smaller AMX speaker, can we drive two in parallel? Any problem with the impedance thingy?

Best Regards
    Alvin