Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Java VNC client?

Is there any Java based VNC client that works with the AMX Touch Panels? I need to be able to access the panels from a Mac and so far nothing I have tried has been able to actually display the panel. RealVNC for Windows and the AMX ActiveX control are the only VNC clients that will actually display the panel upon connecting.

Comments

• Options
    I use TightVNC on Windows machines and it works well with AMX touchpanels. TightVNC's FAQ lists this regarding using it on a Mac:
    Q: Do you plan to port TightVNC to Mac OS X?

A: It is possible that TightVNC will include a Mac OS X version, but not in the nearest days. Currently, our team is busy working on Win32 and Unix versions. So please consider looking at other VNC projects providing Mac OS X ports. For example, see:

* OSXvnc

However, if all you need is to use a Mac machine as a VNC viewer, use the Java viewer interface of TightVNC, it should work under both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

Here are some links to doc's on TightVNC's site:
    TightVNC Java Viewer version 1.3.9
    and the download is here:
    TightVNC

--John
  • Options
    mstocummstocum Posts: 120
    What's interesting is this provides the EXACT same results as RealVNC. It connects, it gets the screen size, it passes input, it just won't display what is being shown on the panel.
  • Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I have a 7500 and I can view on my mac using chicken of the VNC. The only problems that I have had is sometimes it doesn't properly close the connection so the panel won't open a new one.

Ryan
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    ryanww wrote:
    I have a 7500 and I can view on my mac using chicken of the VNC.
    Chicken of the VNC? Is that like Tuna of the LAN? Where's Jessica Simpson when you need her?
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    LMAO - beat me to it! Amazingly beautiful, but profoundly stupid. But hey - beauty trumps brains in my book.
  • Options
    lol.. Yea.. its a good name..
  • Options
    ryanww wrote:
    I have a 7500 and I can view on my mac using chicken of the VNC. The only problems that I have had is sometimes it doesn't properly close the connection so the panel won't open a new one.

Ryan

That's interesting. Both of my MVP 8400s (firmware 2.70.8) never display a window or anything under Chicken of the VNC. This is the exact same behavior as everything else.
  • Options
    Could be just taking a long time to load. Even with the fastest connections we've had, the panels update/redraw slowly. Have you considered network issues either at client site or your site? Maybe the latency or the route between your office and the target panel. Have you double-checked the port settings/firewall settings/software firewalls/etc... Are you able to VNC into the panel on site on the local area network? Also there are several technotes regarding VNC and the G4 panels. Hopefully others will chime in with some ideas.

--John
  • Options
    Try restarting the tp.. I believe I have the latest firmware on my 7500.. I will check when I get home. I didn't have to do anything special on the app though..
    vnc.png 35.3K
  • Options
    Could be just taking a long time to load. Even with the fastest connections we've had, the panels update/redraw slowly. Have you considered network issues either at client site or your site? Maybe the latency or the route between your office and the target panel. Have you double-checked the port settings/firewall settings/software firewalls/etc... Are you able to VNC into the panel on site on the local area network? Also there are several technotes regarding VNC and the G4 panels. Hopefully others will chime in with some ideas.

Definitely not any of the above. I am the "client" in this case. I'm on the same network as all of the panels (well actually 4 of them are on the other end of a T1 line, but they give the exact same behavior as everything else). Also, I'm 99% certain it's not a network issue as both TightVNC and RealVNC under Windows can connect just fine using the native clients. Neither one can connect using their Java clients though, and I've found nothing under Mac OS X that can connect to any of my panels.