Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Command Line

Hello to 'smarter than me' people in the forum... (most of you I figure!)

Anyone know if it is possible to reboot an NI3100 from windows command line interface?

The need is to be able to trigger a reboot of the system from an existing computer to which we have very limited access.

We can dial in to an existing PC (the NI is on the same network as the PC) and we can get to the windows COMMAND window. From there, we would like to be able to fire a command at the NI to reboot it.

We have looked at Telnet but connection isn't always strong enought to make it work. If we can get into the system on dialup long enough to trigger a script on the PC that can invoke a command line reboot, we are good to go.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• You could just script the telnet session, using something like the Telnet Scripting Tool (http://mike-tech.com/download/TST10.exe), and create a batch file that calls your script. You could make it something as simple as 'r.bat', then as long as you put it in whatever is your root directory when you dial in, all you have to type is 'r'. Take a look, it's pretty straightforward.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    why not telnet directly to the master?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've found that a Telnet connection is the easiest to maintain under marginal conditions; if your connection isn't "strong enough" to maintain Telnet long enough for a reboot, I can't imagine an HTML connection doing better. Conversely, if you can get into a PC well enough to run a command line, I can't imagine why you couldn't Telnet the master. I think it would make your life a lot easier if you can figure out what is wrong with the Telnet.
  • DHawthorne wrote:
    I think it would make your life a lot easier if you can figure out what is wrong with the Telnet.
    And why the master needs to be rebooted.

--John
  • PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    command line

Thanks all...

This is a client driven request. Client is an engineer who likes to create ways of doing things (aka tinker). (shhhh - the howls of laughter are deafening)

He wants a one button solution - so he can call the system from his phone, and trigger a script from single DTMF tone from his phone.

As to why it needs to be rebooted, the system is doing things in his absense (this is a remote site) and he figures a reboot will at least reset things. He came to the site last week to find music blasting through all of the speakers. Of course this happened magically with no other intervention.

I've asked him to turn on Notifications and LEAVE it on to try to figure out the cause.

Did I mention the client in an engineer?

Cheers!
    (now stop snickering!)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    The engineer at the doctor's office (dont' worry, I am one so I can make jokes...)

Engineer: Doctor, it hurts when I do this...

Doctor: Well, why don't you stop doing that.

Engineer: huh?