Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Double Step Satellite RX

Greetings all...

Here is a 'strange' one. We are controlling a Bell ExpressVu (Canada) satellite receiver and are getting a 'double step' on the IR pulse for channel up. Doesn't seem to happen on left/right, but up/down will step up two channels. Press the KP and the channel will go up, up. It is not jumping by 2, but is going up 2 steps.

Any ideas? Could this be 'bad' IR code?

Anyone have an IR file for the Bell ExpressVu 3100 that works for them?

IR emitter is covered with shield to prevent IR bleed to other RX units.

Software is staight forward - pulse time is left at default.

BUTTON_EVENT [dvKPPro, 96] // Pro Shop TV Chan UP
{
PUSH:
{
PULSE [dvIRSat2,14]
}
}

Comments

• Options
    Double Step

Shorten the pulse time:

BUTTON_EVENT [dvKPPro, 96] // Pro Shop TV Chan UP
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SET_PULSE_TIME(2)
    PULSE [dvIRSat2,14]
    SET_PULSE_TIME(5)
    }
    }

See if that works!
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Whenever I do a "Touch Panel is basically replacing an IR remote" kinda thing I don't use PULSE but TO because TO basically holds the IR channel on until they let go of the button. So quck hit=quick IR flash. Long hit = long IR flash.

I find that people tend to be pretty good at timing the hit themselves. And if they want to hold down the channel up/down or volume up/down it works a lot better anyway. It also helps avoid the very problem you're encountering. If you use PULSE you'll find that you'll need to adjust the pulse time in the code. Keeping track of that can get a little tricky and you may end up shortening the pulse time when you do need it long.

If you just let the user do the button hit, they figure it out quite well.

So for example...
    cable_box_control_buttons=["1 THROUGH 60 OR WHATEVER"]

BUTTON_EVENT[TP_1,cable_box_control_buttons]
    {
    PUSH:
      {
      TP_BUTTON_PUSHED=BUTTON.INPUT.CHANNEL
      TO[dv_CABLE_BOX_IR,TP_BUTTON_PUSHED]
      TO[TP_1,TP_BUTTON_PUSHED] // for TP feedback
      }
    }

• Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    Thanks guys...

I'll give both a shot. I may try to pulse time change first versus the TO as I am currently dealing with the new Modero DMS keypads and discovering that the buttons are not really as good as I would have expected. (nor are a few other things!)

I appreciate the quick suggestions!

Cheers!
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    ericmedley wrote:
    Whenever I do a "Touch Panel is basically replacing an IR remote" kinda thing I don't use PULSE but TO because TO basically holds the IR channel on until they let go of the button. So quck hit=quick IR flash. Long hit = long IR flash.

Those wanting to do what Eric is suggesting, I would intervene and say use MIN_TO and not TO. MIN_TO has a minimum amount of IR that will be spit out - and this is controlled by the SET_PULSE_TIME. (Typically I set this to 2). But, otherwise, I use the SP command and set CTON / CTOF.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote:
    Those wanting to do what Eric is suggesting, I would intervene and say use MIN_TO and not TO. MIN_TO has a minimum amount of IR that will be spit out - and this is controlled by the SET_PULSE_TIME. (Typically I set this to 2). But, otherwise, I use the SP command and set CTON / CTOF.

That would be the safe thing to do. I just have never had anyone who consitently hits the button less than 2/10ths of a second. I've never once had any problem using TO. But, to the point, that is correct. MIN_TO will ensure that you get a good IR flash.

And as we all know, "Those who claim something to be fool proof underestimate the ingenuity of fools.." :)
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I agree, I do doubt someone would hit it so quickly that the command would not register on the device. It's just a habit I've fallen into.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Just in case it was a bad file here's my file for Bell's.

I usually use the SP command when spitting out the IR and set cton to 3 and ctof to 2.