Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

AXB-DMX512 Problems.....

OK,

I am having a lot of trouble with this and I need help. It seems from all accounts this should be FAR easier and it's killing me.

I have an NI-4100 Master connected via Axlink to an AXB-DMX512 interface. The DMX interface is wired between an ETC Express Console (on the Input Stage) and an Elation Opto-4 Optical Isolation Splitter (on the Output Stage) which branches out to 2 dimming groups.

I?ve repeatedly tried to set up the AXB interface to pass 1 to 1 dimmer channels (The command is simply PA), but I have YET to see the AMX device pass DMX signal through it to the dimmers. When I wire the ETC console directly to the Opto-Isolator via the same wires, it always works fine. But as soon as I wire in the AXB-DMX512, nothing works.

My question: Does this device work? I?ve sent the initial PA Command (notice I wrote Command NOT String) to it from code and from a telnet session. I?ve cleared all the buffers via the DZ, GZ, PZ, and MZ commands and tried again to set the 1 to 1 patch and nothing. I?ve tried to patch just a small group of channels from code and via telnet and cod by sending the Command "'PC<DMX input>D<list of DMX outputs>'". When I inquire about the levels I?ve just set, the AXB replies that the specific dimmer channels are at the correct output levels, yet there is NO output at the dimmers/lights themselves.

And just to make sure I?m actually connected to the AXB, I?ve sent ??MI (channel number)??? And ??MO(channel number)??? Commands to the AMX interface, and will receive incorrect and erroneous results. For example, I send dimmer channels 1 through 7 to 100 % on the console and Send_Command data.device(actually I?m using the device name Lights, but I think you get the meaning here),??PA?? (I?ve tried to do this before setting up the board as well with no success), I get readings on my Inputs of the AXB for channels 1 through 7 of 128, 0, 254, 248, 254, 248, 248, and the same values for the corresponding Outputs (checked using the MI and MO Commands). Oddly when I check a channel I?m NOT sending any signal level to, say channel 30, the input and output for that channel are at 252.

I?m about to ditch this whole thing, as I?ve spent over an hour on the phone with Tech Support speaking to 2 different techs, and I?ve all ready returned 1 box that was doing this exact same thing last week. I?ve also checked to see if this box was inadvertently set for termination at the factory, and it is not. I?ve looked at my wiring, but it?s the same wiring that works fine when the 3 pins are run straight through the phoenix connectors to the Opto ? Isolator.

There has to be some explanation for this? Could it be data rates of the DMX causing problems? Has anyone got an idea? Could the AxLink be the culprit? I'm all out of ideas.....

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Comments

• Options
    feddxfeddx Posts: 175
    This is why we do this....
    feddx wrote:
    OK,

I am having a lot of trouble with this and I need help. It seems from all accounts this should be FAR easier and it's killing me.

I have an NI-4100 Master connected via Axlink to an AXB-DMX512 interface. The DMX interface is wired between an ETC Express Console (on the Input Stage) and an Elation Opto-4 Optical Isolation Splitter (on the Output Stage) which branches out to 2 dimming groups.

I?ve repeatedly tried to set up the AXB interface to pass 1 to 1 dimmer channels (The command is simply PA), but I have YET to see the AMX device pass DMX signal through it to the dimmers. When I wire the ETC console directly to the Opto-Isolator via the same wires, it always works fine. But as soon as I wire in the AXB-DMX512, nothing works.

I?ve looked at my wiring, but it?s the same wiring that works fine when the 3 pins are run straight through the phoenix connectors to the Opto ? Isolator.

There has to be some explanation for this? Could it be data rates of the DMX causing problems? Has anyone got an idea? Could the AxLink be the culprit? I'm all out of ideas.....

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

OK folks and the answer is......

It's ALWAYS about the wiring.... Seems the simple path I was lead to believe was occuring from my console to the AXB-DMX512, was NOT so simple. And alway tell the Techs, 2 is - and 3 is + on DMX lighting protocols..... Sorry to have wasted your time. I shall leave this here to save others this embarrassment.
  • Options
    DMX timing

Hi,

this is an old thread now, I guess you have a solution. I have used this box on a Helvar lighting system. I had to play with the timings to get the system to work. Frame timing seems to ring a bell. If you want, send me a PM and I'll drag out the code.

Jeff