Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

NXT-CV7 Problems

I have some NXT-CV7's that are giving me problems. I have taken them out back and given them a good spanking, but that has not seemed to do the trick. I need advice.

About a week ago, I got a call from the customer saying their TP was "acting strangely". When I got there and started checking it out, it was as if the TP had a mind of its own. For instance, pressing the VCR / DVD button would open the PC selection screen, the Mic Mute button wold cause the VTC to exit, etc. I brought it back to my work area, upgraded the firmware, made a few cosmetic changes to the buttons, and connected it to my master via ethernet and a hub. It worked great, so I took it back and re-installed it. It worked great until I reconnected the ethernet cable. Once I reconnected the ethernet, the buttons started hanging up, like I was doing a push and hold, for about three seconds. Rebooting the TP seemed to solve that problem. It was then that I noticed the installer created a crossover ethernet cable and connected the TP directly to the master's ethernet port.

All worked well for about 3 days, then the problems came back. I went over, removed the crossover ethernet cable and installed a little switch. Today, I got a phone call from them saying, "We have to push the buttons really hard in order for them to work." At this point I need to mention that I have two conference rooms set up identically, in the same building, and both of them are doing this. At first I thought maybe it was somehow code related, but I am thinking if it were code related, the problems would have been there from day one, not almost a year later.

What do you guys think? Since we have 2 rooms doing the exact same thing, the problem is somehow generating from our equipment. Both rooms are stand alone networks as far as the AMX equipment is concerned. The only things in common are the NXT-CV7's, NI-2000's, and the coding. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like the faulty touch overlay, I've had this happen - its like the calibration has gone haywire... sometimes re-calibrating would work, sometimes a reboot, sometimes a firmware change, always eventually ended with a panel swap-out

HTH
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    We have had a couple CV7s that seem to need regular re-calibration. The symptoms of it look strangely like a panel lockup. Button pushes don't do anything. However, the ticking clock on the main page is happily chugging along. That's my clue. The panel is actually online and working fine. It's just the touch interface is wacky. The fix is to hold the big button for 6 seconds to get into the panel setup pages. Then hold the same button again for six more seconds and it goes to the calibration page.

After recalibrating, it works fine. In one case the panel is located in a bathroom. I suspect the moisture might have something to do with it since when you move the panel to another part of the house, it works fine.
  • Options
    Although I neglected to mention it, I did the calibration as my very first step in the process. The TP's work fine when just connected to power. It is when the ethernet cable is connected that they go squirrley.
  • Options
    Call tech support with serial number. AMX recently switched to another brand of flash cards because they were having lots of issues with them. They have been backordered on the new flash cards, but I think they have caught up now.
  • Options
    CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    I have had several cv7's act odd and the cause was faulty overlays. I was walking through a room and heard what sounded like a CV7 arcade as if a 3-yr old was pecking around with buttons rapidly and randomly. The sound was for button misses, but looking at the panel revealed rapid page changes -- I clearly thought the pannel was possesed. I am glad that I saw it because I know it would have totally freeked out the client. I quickly disconnected the ethernet cable to prevent the house from going crazy.

The link to the ethernet cable is odd. If you hook the TP up to another NI, does it do the same thing?

If both rooms have their own network, TP, and NI - the only common thread is the code. it appears that the problem easily replicated with those components and I would bet that tech support could re-create the set-up and assist in finding the problem provided you supplied them with the source code.

Good luck!