Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Axcent3Pro Help

I am on my way to Iraq to "fix" many VTC problems. Lots of the VTC suites out there are old and are still sporting Axcent3 Pro controllers. DVD players, Plasmas, and other equipment on those suites have been life cycle replaced and as such, the programming is no longer right. Being the only programmer on site, I have been given the job of going out there and reprogramming all of these systems. In a perfect world, I would be going out there with a bag full of NI-3100's with NXT-CV10's, but that is not going to happen. I have to make due with what I have. I have a bunch of code I have written for VTC suites using Netlinx devices. I am hoping I can just cut and paste and do some finger diddling and get everything working. I know the devices are declared differently and there are no "EVENTS" in Axcent, everything is in the mainline. Does anyone have any Axcent code that they would be willing to share as an example? I have ZERO experience with Axcent3 devices. I downloaded the Axcess compiler from AMX, but I do not have the juice to install it on my work computer. I am waiting for the network Admin guy to open it for me. I am hoping I can dink around with that a little before I have to go. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I have opened the Axcess compiler. Between the Help Sample Program with the Axcess compiler and using the code wizard in Netlinx Studio, I have a pretty decent idea on what I need to do to get everything working. I still would like to see a real Axcess program if anyone has one they would like to share. Thanks again.
  • Jeff,

Netlinx Studio 2 has an Axcess compiler, you don't need to use anything else. See Build / Compile as Axcess.

Converting decent NetLinx code (that makes good use of the language) into Axcess is hard work, no you can't do it with a few quick replaces.

If you want to see some sample code, PM me with your email address.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Here's a sample of one of the few Axcent3 systems I still have extant. It has a bit of everything in it: RS-232 control, and IR. It's a simple one-room theater with just a receiver, TV, DVD, VCR and Sat.
  • thank you for the replies. in getting price quotes for changing the program, the original company that programmed those things way back in 2002 told our military customer the AMX Master card is a write once card. they said it would be impossible for me to re-program on site so the card needs to be sent back to them so they can create a new one. according to the fine folks at AMX Tech Support, AMX does not nor has not made a Master card that is only write once. seems to me they just want to get paid for the re-program. whatever their motive, they have got an already nervous customer into a panic mode. whatever the case, i knew i was going to have to start from scratch, so i was kind of looking forward to the experience of working in Axcess. i think i am going to lose this battle. the card is probably going to be sent back to the original contractor for a re-program. i am still having to go out, only now instead of any programming, i am just going out there to do remedial maintenance. :(
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    I think that the procurement people should review the contract with the original supplier and figure out who owns the code that was created when the system was built. I would bet that there is some sort of boiler plate term that says that any code generated is generated as work for hire and therefore belongs to the purchaser, but maybe not.

The least expensive solution, unless the original supplier is willing to upgrade the code for cheap, would be to put NI700s out there and use the Axcent3s as just boxes of ports. For anything but the most simple jobs (and programming a codec in Axcess is, in my opinion, non-trivial) you will save way more on time than an NI700 costs.

Perhaps there is a problem with the procurement people and they don't want to buy new equipment. Then, perhaps, the NI700s could somehow be rolled into the reprogramming fee. I'd bet that you could put NI700s out there and do all the programming in Netlinx, get it done quicker, and cheaper than using the original contractor, and still make money.
  • I hate "me too" posts...

...but nice one, Hedberg
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    thank you for the replies. in getting price quotes for changing the program, the original company that programmed those things way back in 2002 told our military customer the AMX Master card is a write once card. they said it would be impossible for me to re-program on site so the card needs to be sent back to them so they can create a new one. according to the fine folks at AMX Tech Support, AMX does not nor has not made a Master card that is only write once. seems to me they just want to get paid for the re-program. whatever their motive, they have got an already nervous customer into a panic mode. whatever the case, i knew i was going to have to start from scratch, so i was kind of looking forward to the experience of working in Axcess. i think i am going to lose this battle. the card is probably going to be sent back to the original contractor for a re-program. i am still having to go out, only now instead of any programming, i am just going out there to do remedial maintenance. :(

Bold-faced lie ... I would be very tempted to ask the client if you could try to download the program anyway. You might get lucky. But it could also be loaded with a password, or loaded without source, in which case you would in fact be stuck either starting over or going back to the original programmer.