Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

bad connection via COM(Serial)

Hi everybody!
I have a problem with connection to NI-3100 via COM. Every time i connect to master in NetLinxStudio, connection losing happens after about 40 seconds, and warning window is show: "The connection to the Master Controller has been lost. Please check your physical connection and connections setting and try again". I was trying to change some COM settings but situation is still the same. Tell me please, how can i resolve this problem? Connection via tcp/ip works fine.

p.s. sorry my bad english

Comments

• GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    Try unchecking the "Automatically PING setting" in the Settings/Communications Settings/Edit IP window.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    kru wrote:
    Hi everybody!
    I have a problem with connection to NI-3100 via COM. Every time i connect to master in NetLinxStudio, connection losing happens after about 40 seconds, and warning window is show: "The connection to the Master Controller has been lost. Please check your physical connection and connections setting and try again". I was trying to change some COM settings but situation is still the same. Tell me please, how can i resolve this problem? Connection via tcp/ip works fine.

p.s. sorry my bad english
    Are you using a USB to Serial adapter?

It's very likely that if you are, the one you have has little or no port buffering and it simply cannot keep up with the traffic that occurs particularly around initial connection time. This is not uncommon and there are several threads on this if you need more info.

From my experience, the best serial port you can get is a PCMCIA one. There are good USB ones - the key is to get one with memory.

This issue is not just apparent with NetLinx - the issue can cause a windows 'blue screen' when working with Clearone DSPs as an example.

...I should also say this issue is NOT a reflection on the products

HTH