Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NXA-AVB - Ethernet wiring

I'm using an NXD-CV7 and an NXA-AVB/Ethernet breakout box.
My question is about the Ethernet wiring for the 2 items.

Do you have to connect the CV7 to the network using the Ethernet connection through the NXA-AVB box, like:
Router ---> NXA-AVB ---> CV7
A/V
> NXA-AVB ---> CV7

Or can you go directly from the Router to the CV7 Ethernet port and use the NXA-AVB for power and Cat5 Audio/Video to the panel, like:
Router
> CV7
A/V
> NXA-AVB ---> CV7

Any help appreciated ...

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Yes, you can connect the Touch Panel directly to the network without going through the AVB. I think it's there as a convenience.

There are some projects we've done this due to a mis-wire in the pre-wire.
  • Options
    Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    Thank you Eric for that fast answer !
    And Happy New Year - a little bit in advance!
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Pep_SD wrote:
    Thank you Eric for that fast answer !
    And Happy New Year - a little bit in advance!

Not a problem...

Happy New Year to you as well. Actually, it is not in advacne for this forum as we have a lot of members who are in Australia and are currently in 2008 as I type.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have a pile of AVB boxes. I don't use them at all. I connect network directly, and use a third-party balun to convert the video to twisted pair. I have even discovered that the balun isn't even absolutely necessary - I have a job where I had no choice but to splice a twisted pair cable directly to the end of a coax that was feeding video, and it worked fine. It would most certainly not work with an RGB video panel, but it does for the composite video ones. I'm also quite sure it is far from ideal, but it does work.