Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

problem controlling extron in1508_F

i'm trying to control the extron in1508 with amx ni3000 over rs232.
i have a direct comunication cable. i have build 2 of them just to make sure. i have used only the rx tx and ground.
i should use a crossover cable?

i have created a data event when the extron is online

data_event [dvextron]
{
online:
{
send_command dvextron, "'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 Disable'"
}
}

and this is the command i want to send to extron " 1! " (it supposed to change the vga output to port 1)

send_string dvextron,"'1!',$0D,$0A"

the led tx from ni3000 lights but the extron doesn't responds. the rx always stays off. i use telnet to monitor ni3000 and i see no response from extron

Comments

• You don't need the CR & LF for extron, so just use...

send_string dvextron,"'1!'"

HTH
  • ok. i think my problem is the cable. i have downloaded some modules for extron devices from amx site and i found some schematics about serial cable.

AMX Side Extron side
    1 GND 5 GND
    2 RXD 2 TXD
    3 TXD 3 RXD
    . build this one too.
    still no improvement.
    for this cable amx has the code FG10-752-10. in other document i found out that there is another cable with the code FG10-P1799 but no schematics for this one. anyone can help?
  • Your Data Event should be like this

DATA_EVENT [dvextron]
    {
    ONLINE:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND dvextron, 'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 DISABLE'
    }
    }

Yours has double quotes which aren't needed

That cable is wrong you need a straight 2-2,3-3,5-5 cable for Extron

Also you can try the Extron SIS Control Software on your PC to test the commands and the unit.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    cristibad wrote:
    ok. i think my problem is the cable. i have downloaded some modules for extron devices from amx site and i found some schematics about serial cable.

AMX Side Extron side
    1 GND 5 GND
    2 RXD 2 TXD
    3 TXD 3 RXD
    . build this one too.
    still no improvement.
    for this cable amx has the code FG10-752-10. in other document i found out that there is another cable with the code FG10-P1799 but no schematics for this one. anyone can help?

I beleive 5 is also the ground on the AMX side as well.

The cable should be pretty stratight-forward RS-232.

I tell the techs to not worry so much about how to wire most RS-232.

I tell them make sure to make pin-5 ground/shield and then hook up 2 and 3 however they want. There are general rules about pinouts but I've seen just as many manufacturers change it up. The issue in the manuals always seems to be:"when the manual says pin X is transmit, do they mean 1) hook your transmit here or 2) this is the transmit out of this box?" The only general rule that seems to work pretty well is..

if the cable stays the same gender from one end to another, then it should cross over 2 and 3.

if the cable changes gender then try straight through. (2 to 2, 3 to 3)

If you think about it, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right and you won't blow up something if you're wrong.

So, go ahead and try to find the pin outs in the manual. If you can't find them or they don't make sense, hook up 2 and 3 however. Plug it in. If you it doesn't work, flip 2 and 3 and perhaps it will.

Obviously, you need to check things out before hooking stuff up. An example that comes to mind is some of the older APC UPSs and power conditioners have a D-Sub 9 connector on the back that is for 'control' It even talks about hooking the thing up to a laptop in the manual.

However, the connector is not even close to what a computer/AMX needs to communicate via RS-232. In fact there are pins on the thing that have 12 volts running down them. It is actually controlled by contact closure (relays)

But for the most part, you're not going to hurt anything.

If you're still having issues, you might want to check other things like the baud rate of the device and the port on the AMX master.

If you watch the device in the diagnostics window and send it a 'GET BAUD' command, it will tell you what it's set to.