Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Windows has blocked Web Control

All my Windows XP PCs are blocking Web Control. I don't know if it is related to the new Netlinx Master firmware build 371. But in 3 different Masters with build 371 with different PCs running XP I can't access Web Control anymore. I tried going to the Security settings of Internet Explorer and setting all ActiveX control to ENABLED, and it still blocks me. I tried Opera and Windows still blocks it.

Message: "Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher."
AMXG4WebControl.cab

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Ricardo

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Ya gotta just love Windoze.

I've seen this too.
  • There's a Technote 862 regarding this. Had the same problem, solved w/ the Technote.
    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=862
  • ColinColin Posts: 51
    Windows Blocking G4

I too have found this and I believe that it has to do with IE7, I now use Real VNC - works like a charm
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Colin wrote:
    I too have found this and I believe that it has to do with IE7, I now use Real VNC - works like a charm
    I still don't know why someone would use WebControl over RealVCN - is it faster?

Maybe I'm missing something.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote:
    I still don't know why someone would use WebControl over RealVCN - is it faster?

It's more convenient for the end user ... just browse to the master and click the panel. It also requires no software to be installed. Personally, I never use it; I strictly use RealVNC. But customers are another story.
    jjames wrote:

I guess it's the idea that you don't need to have a computer running somewhere in the install.

I personally never spec either WebControl or VNC on a project. I just have not had what I consider good reliability on either side. The WebControl is just plain flaky and hanging all my hopes on a PC running windows is frankly even more frightening.

having said that, I did inherit a system when I took this job that has 7 touch panels with one of those being a laptop and Web Control over a TPI4 mounted in the equip rack. It's in a kitchen that for some reason the owner didn't want to see atouch panel but thought a laptop was okay. (???)

The thing is the bane of my existance. The owners are mildly tech-savvy but know enough to leave the thing alone when it comes to upgrades and whatnot. Their college age son on the other hand is rather reckless. I don't know how many times I've had to fix that thing because of some problem with Windows and that laptop. Unlike the AMX control system, I generally have no idea what happened when I show up to fix it. And, of course, their son, who doesn't wan't to take the blame for anything going wrong, is usually very circumspect on what he did. It's a support nightmare.

When things go haywire, the client simply blames the problem on 'the system' They don't seem to understand that the only thing that changed was their son re-configured IE so he could get some website to work for him.

[/rant]
  • Often the laptop is set to update automatically without the client even knowing that. Anyone who purchases a new laptop has to deal with Vista. There is no doubt that the recent updates have crippled so many applications together with most if not all AMX applications.
    I have installed Virtual Microsoft XP to deal with this.
    Clingpeach wrote:
    Often the laptop is set to update automatically without the client even knowing that. Anyone who purchases a new laptop has to deal with Vista. There is no doubt that the recent updates have crippled so many applications together with most if not all AMX applications.
    I have installed Virtual Microsoft XP to deal with this.
    Yeah, Vista's a whole other can-o-worms. We just tell the client's XP Pro and that's it when it comes to things that have to interface with AMX. And to be fair, it's not really AMX's fault.
  • Take note 862 has been removed by AMX. Actually, I got a hot fix file from AMX to load to the Netlinx Master and WEB CONTROL works again. What leads me to think that the problem was not only with XP or Vista but worse in the AMX Netlinx firmware build 371 itiself. The patch is named ' DuetMasterHotfix_v3_30_371_1.kit' . Contact AMX tech support and ask for it if you need it.

Sincerely,

Ricardo
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Take note 862 has been removed by AMX. Actually, I got a hot fix file from AMX to load to the Netlinx Master and WEB CONTROL works again. What leads me to think that the problem was not only with XP or Vista but worse in the AMX Netlinx firmware build 371 itiself. The patch is named ' DuetMasterHotfix_v3_30_371_1.kit' . Contact AMX tech support and ask for it if you need it.

Sincerely,

Ricardo
    No, AMX just adjusted the firmware to account for what Microsoft did to break it.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    Is this what is causing my issue? I've got several NI-700 running v3.30.371. Some work fine, while one of them won't serve any of it's web pages properly. All I get is
    The XML page cannot be displayed 
    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A string literal was not closed. Error processing resource 'http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/web/http/webControl.xsl'. Line 195, Positi...

<xsl:when test="string-length(name) &gt; 

(I've edited the IP address for security reasons.) I reloaded its firmware, but that didn't fix it. Any clues?

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    Update - I downgraded the firmware back to v3.21.354 and WebControl worked again. (Glad I hold onto my older firmware versions!)

It's a bit crazy really. Without the Web Config Pages working I can't secure my masters on our network. I really wish there was a way to configure security settings via a Telnet connection. My hardware is supplied/installed by contractors and I do the programming. Often the hardware is on remote campuses, so I don't even get to physically see it.

So... Does anyone know if security can be configured via a Telnet session (rather than a Terminal connection)?

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University