Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Our reputation

Okay - so I'm over at another forum and they seem to be pretty heavy on reputation points (I'm actually surprised I have any over there - whole different story), but I was paroozing through our member list here and, there appears to be very little, if no reputation giving / receiving going on. There are only three members on the board who have more than one little green square - two of which are Administrators.

I know there are a handful of members on here who are regular contributers, and just over 40 members who have posted more than 100 times. Now - I'm NOT saying that quantity matters more than quality, because the truth is quite the opposite. However, I thought it would be sort of neat for us to start using the "reputation" system that's on the board. This could serve either A) the new members of who's notable here on the forums, and has a good well . . . reputation or B) absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Either way, I think it would kind of fun.

Anyway - I just thought I'd remind everyone that there is a way to add points to people's reputation, and not to forget about it. And if you've got no clue what I'm talking about, it's the little icon that appears to be a "justice scale", click on that to "Approve" or "Disapprove" of someone's post - and give them a reason why (optional.)

Okay - I've rambled enough . . . it's obviously not a necessary item here - but, I thought it'd be kinda cool.

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    In the words of <somebody> "Be careful what you wish for!"
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    In the words of <somebody> "Be careful what you wish for!"
    Great, I didn't think of that - now all the people that hate me will be "disapproving" of my posts, and I'll be banned for life from here!! :D Haha!
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i choose option (B) :D

edit:
    to be honest, i don't think the current system isn't gonna work. You have to approve/disapprove a post. I don't want that, i want to give/decline someone reputation because his/her post is helpfull/not helpfull.
    yuri wrote:
    i choose option (B) :D

edit:
    to be honest, i don't think the current system isn't gonna work. You have to approve/disapprove a post. I don't want that, i want to give/decline someone reputation because his/her post is helpfull/not helpfull.
    Ahhh that's cool. I really don't care if people use it or not - was just trying to raise awareness. You do bring up a good point, and wish the system was different; honestly - having a green box "reputation" really isn't going to change how often, or what I post. :D

Like I kinda said in the first post - the system already provides fun but it also serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    Now if AMX were to give out the odd incentive to continue contributing to those gaining a good reputation however... Problem solved, I see purpose in that.

I'm thinking maybe the first two or three production MVP-5200's :D But you'd have to be keen to debug unfinished firmware :D:D (Goes and sits in the corner ashamedly because he just delayed them shipping another month...)
  • jjames wrote:
    Ahhh that's cool. I really don't care if people use it or not - was just trying to raise awareness.

Maybe you should start a ribbon campaign, like for AIDS awareness.
  • jjames wrote:
    Okay - so I'm over at another forum and they seem to be pretty heavy on reputation points

The problem over there is that reputation points are more often awarded for pictures of hot chicks in someones avatar then for actually helping someone.
    (I'm actually surprised I have any over there - whole different story)

This only helps to prove my point.
    What is the "other" forum?
    Is that forum worth my time reading and posting?
  • I think it's a great resource with a very broad focus. The Public side is pretty much worthless though, you need to get verified to get at the good stuff.

Just don't start picking fights right away, you'll give this forum a bad name.
    TonyAngelo wrote:
    Just don't start picking fights right away, you'll give this forum a bad name.
    LOL - if that's true, then the people who would think of this forum badly only because of one person's remarks must still be in middle school. Ya never know though! :D
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    "Must we hold a candle to my shame???"

I only have one 'rep' It seems okay to me. I know of no one who is out to get me.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Any forum I have participated in that actually used rep points eventually had a problem with people shooting down someone they didn't like, and boosting their buddies. I think it's a sign of the overall professionalism here that we don't even bother with the rep points - every post is taken for it's own worth.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    reputation system

If it's meaningful, it'll be abused. If it's meaningless, it'll be confusing. I say just remove it.
    DHawthorne wrote:
    Any forum I have participated in that actually used rep points eventually had a problem with people shooting down someone they didn't like, and boosting their buddies. I think it's a sign of the overall professionalism here that we don't even bother with the rep points - every post is taken for it's own worth.
    Good point. I'll go with you on this one. Was curious on the response about this rep system here on the board. Seems pretty obvious - don't change what's not broke. :D