Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

HVAC Control - DAIKIN Industries VRV

Has anyone used this DIMAX CoolMaster 1000 with any success?
http://www.xdimax.com/cool/cool.html

I need to communicate with a DAIKIN VRV system...and it apparently can "talk" to the VRV system via RS232. I would like to buy one and try it, but figured I would ask "the collective" first.

Here is the Daikin VRV HVAC system, FYI.
http://www.daikin.com/global_ac/products/vrv/index.html

much thanks,
roognation

Comments

• rcainrcain Posts: 11
    I'm very interested in this as well. We have a client that has a traditional HVAC system on the Main and Upper Levels of the home with a Daikin VRV-S system w/7 "cassettes" on the Lower Level.

I'm relatively new to the AMX programming side (been designing systems for a while though) so this is kind of throwing me for a loop.

I spoke to someone at Daikin last week and he stated they are working with ******** on a module but didn't know anything about AMX. According to him, there are currently no RS232 or 3rd party IP interfaces at the present time.

It appears to be possible but beyond my level of knowledge.
  • ellaella Posts: 3
    CoolMaster

Hi We are widely using CoolMaster 1000.
    I have tested it on VRV-II and VRV-III systems. The biggest one had 3 Outdoors and 48 indoors. So far it works just fine and there is nothing from Daikin directly that can compare to it in simplicity of connection and operation.
  • Thank you ella for the feedback. From what I understand this units connects directly to the Daikin bus with no other device needed from Daikin?

I also thought there was a solution to control the Daikin VRVs by IP using a device by Daikin?

Anybody knows any reliable solution for mini-split units other than IR?

Any solutions for Mitsubishi VRVs?
  • ella wrote:
    Hi We are widely using CoolMaster 1000.
    I have tested it on VRV-II and VRV-III systems. The biggest one had 3 Outdoors and 48 indoors. So far it works just fine and there is nothing from Daikin directly that can compare to it in simplicity of connection and operation.

Thanks for the feedback, ella. I have tried to get in touch with the DIMAX people, and the only way you can get to them is via email; and they bounced.

Do you have another supplier of these COOLMASTER 1000 units?

THANKS!
    Try again at cool@xdimax.net . I'm in contact with Dimax all the time. (At least 3 days ago I get replies to my questions.) I do not know why they do not provide phone number on web page but I can understand it. After you get in contact with them you'll see they are very open and professional people. Company is located in Israel that also means something.
  • Contact Info

Well, I did manage to get in touch with them, thanks for the new contact info, Ella. For everyones benefit, I have copied my recent email here. I have asked him to:
    1 Update his contact info on the website
    2 Join us at amxforums.com

====

We have no problems to work with USD [US dollars]. We can accept wire transfer, check and credit card payment. We do prefer credit card as it's instant and there are no fees.
    I will generate you money request to make credit card payment. If you are interested in other payment options let me know I will provide required details.

The reason we do not like to work over phone is time difference between USA and Israel. Average 10 hours difference puts most of incoming calls from US at about our midnight. Right now we provide two options email and Skype chat. (BTW you can try to send us a message via Skype chat). The situation may change if we will decide to open US office or will have distributors in US to take this support locally.

For a while we are definitely interested to provide our contacts in AMX forum. For a while I think about following information:
    - Web link
    http://www.xdimax.com/cool/cool.html

- Email address
    cool@xdimax.net

- Skype Contact:

This will also leave us an option to provide contacts of local distributor in future.

Thanks,
    Best Regards. Igor.

===

Hope this helps!
  • JacabusJacabus Posts: 2
    Daikin Solution

AVD Australia have a complete working solution available for Daikin VRV system - a module is available and or an AMX processor with the module loaded. The module is based on communications with the the Daikin DBACS IP Gateway - so this must be part of the AC system.
    Check out their website - www.avd.com.au
    I prefer CoolMaster. All other Daikin solutions (like DBACS IP Gateway ) are much more expensive and provide significantly less functionality.
    Also we prefer simple RS232 communication instead of heavy BACS or LON.
  • KrondorKrondor Posts: 14
    AVD Solution for integration with DAIKIN

I'm sure the solution provided by AVD is very convinient. Using it along with the CoolMaster can provide the best integration solution, since CoolMaster can actually replace the quite expansive DBACS gateway, provided the manufacturer.
  • RusRus Posts: 3
    BACnet Daikin Solution by AVD

Having looked at all the comments, as the developer of the product I would like to say the following.

1) Installing CoolMaster voids your Daikin manufacturers warranty because it directly connects to the F1 and F2 terminals of the VRV system. I cannot see the justification of spending AU$100,000 plus on an air conditioning system and not spending another AU$5000 for the BACnet Gateway but be prepared to pay around $1700 for CoolMaster which in turn voids the manufacturers warranty of the whole system. If the warranty is not a concern if I were you I would directly connect to the F1 and F2 terminals and send the commands directly. This would save the $1700 for the CoolMaster.

2) AVD Solution provides the same functionality as CoolMaster. However integration with the AVD Solution plus the BACnet gateway would not affect the Daikin manufactures warranty.

3) They both use simple communications. You do not need to program BACnet or Lon.

4) AVD Solution can be integrated to your project as a Netlinx module or you can use either RS232 or TCP/IP.

5) BACnet does have higher overheads, so does TCP/IP. We do not really discard TCP/IP because it has overheads. With the current technologies, considering both network bandwidth and processor execution speeds, integrated systems can easily encode/decode these messages. Extended headers and trailers in these messages provide error correction, flow control, out of order packet capture, packet re-transmission, flexibility of routing through networks etc. etc.

Software Engineer
    AVD Australia
  • KrondorKrondor Posts: 14
    HVAC Control

1. Regarding the warranty issues, in many countries the Daikin distributor itself buys and resells the
    CoolMaster since it helps them to increase sales due its easy integration using this device.

2. AVD is not a substitute for CoolMaster. From visiting the site AVD has developed very nice solutions
    integrating VRV (with Lon/Bacnet) to AMX. Since the number of sold CoolMasters will be much much
    higher than a number of Lon's and Bacnet's it would be very nice to have a solution from AVD for
    integration of VRV with the CoolMaster. i'm sure there will be a lot of demands for that.

3. You cannot Communicate directly with F1 F2 line. There must be some gateway (Bacnet/Lon/I
    touch/CoolMaster).

4. And the last point is, that all of the mentioned Gateways must be configured (by Daikin installers). From my experience, it is not that simple.