Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Serving Web Control from Dynamic IP

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has a way of serving up web control to the Internet via a cable modem that operates with a dynamic IP address. I am trying to avoid the cost of a static IP. It is not a "mission critical" system. I have a router available.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    You could use a dynamic DNS service like dynDNS.org. I think Dave even posted a module to update the info from the master.

Jeff
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Where would the module be found??? For that matter... who is Dave? I had thought about some code that would send me a text message every time the WAN IP changes if the master could resolve it, but the IP tracking service seems to be a more logical solution.
  • Options
    I need this service too! When you discover the module please contact me: apvg2001@yahoo.com.br

Sincerely,
    Andr
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Originally posted by TurnipTruck
    Where would the module be found??? For that matter... who is Dave?
    The module that Dave Hawthorne posted can be found here: http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=366
  • Options
    jeffacojeffaco Posts: 121
    Page not available ...

That page appears to be protected (or doesn't exist).

Is it in the other section of the forum that requires certification to see?

I'd be curious to see it. Could it be reposted here?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yeah, it's in the ACE section. Repost of module here commencing...
  • Options
    Thanks for reposting here. Unfortunately, not terribly useful - no source.

Oh well,

-- Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm not sure why you feel not having the source doesn't make it useful - it's a working module, and you can use the tko file in your projects. That's how all the AMX modules come from Inconcert.

By the way, I haven't included the source because technically, it belongs to my boss. He's not looking to sell licenses to use the module, but he did pay me for my time to write the code, and isn't about to give that work away. Minor point maybe, since the module is useable, but there it is.
  • Options
    joecjoec Posts: 55
    TZO.com

Would TZO.com not work?
    That is what I use
  • Options
    There's a little bit of a difference.

With AMX modules, AMX is there to stand behind their modules in case of problems. They support their modules. Bugs are reported, bugs are fixed, and new versions come out.

For inconcert modules provided by hardware manufacturers, the same is true (to a varying extent; I don't know what kind of support those get from the manufacturers).

For me, I'd *NEVER* use a module (without source available) unless it was from AMX or the hardware manufacturer (or someone reputable to support it). If the module malfunctions in some way, you have no recourse, and no options to get the problem fixed.

Of course, in my case, most of my modules are posted up on sourceforge.net, freely available for anyone to use. And I know, for example, that they are used. My time sync module forms the basis for the time code in AMX's i!-Scheduler and i!-TimeManager applications.

Just my opinion,

-- Jeff
  • Options
    Yes, but your statement (in words to the effect of) "it's not useful because there's no source code" is still invalid. It still works, and works well, regardless of your inability to see the inner workings or tweak the code. I was beat to the punch (because I'm forgetful) in releasing a DynDNS.org Netlinx module, but I would have done the very same thing.

I'm sure that this module is by far NOT the only example of something that a whole lot of people would find useful or beneficial, even if it doesn't carry any guarantee that it will work from now until the end of time or may never be updated. (For all we know, it will never need to be updated, so it >will< work until the end of time)

Having something that provides a solution to a problem NOW is far better than not having a solution at all.

In this instance, I believe that clients that wanted the ability to get to their networks from the outside world without requiring a PC to be running 24/7 would still request that this module get integrated into their system, even with the understanding that some day they it MIGHT break and they would need to seek an alternative at that point.

- Chip
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I can see both sides of the arguement. I think it comes down to what is it used for. If you are using the module in a system that you are selling to someone, I would think real hard about using a module without access to source code. Before I installed said module, I would either have to be ready to rewrite it if need be, or make sure that the customer knows (and maybe even signs off on) that the module is a third party piece of code that may or may not work. This being said, I also don't expect to get source code to a module that someone else wrote. I think it is great when someone shares their source code and I think that it can allow for additional improvements and modifications to the module, but it shouldn't be a requirement. I would rather have the option of using a module that I don't have source code for than to not even know that such a module exists, but I like choices.

Now, if the module is being implemented for personal use, it makes it a lot easier to use a module without source code. From what I can see, there are quite a few people that use these forums to let them program and augment their personal systems. In this case, they probably could care less about source code (unless they are trying to learn about writing modules).

With that being said, I am going to go out on a limb and say that if a bug was found in the majority of modules posted by people on this board and it was brought to their attention.... they would most likely fix it. The reason I say this is because most of these modules are written for use in a system and would you want a module running on a clients system if you know there is a chance that it might spontaneously break? Of course this is not a guarantee, and it may turn out that you are using a function the module doesn't need to support on the programmers system. In the least, you have the option of asking the programmer how he/she dealt with the particular cavets of the problem/feature you are trying to get code for and this may help you write your own module that performs the way you need.

Alright, I'm done rambling endlessly and I'll sum it all up here: It is better to have something than it is to have nothing. It is also better to know that if you choose to write your own module, there is a person that may be able to help with experience even if it is not code.

Just my 2 cents, a dime, 3 quarters and a nickle ;)

Jeff