Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NI ethernet port

Hi all,
Is there any diagnostic method for checking the ethernet port of an NI controller. I have faced a problem that an NI looses the connection from 3 panels at the same time. I am afraid that something is going wrong with its ethernet port. The network does not have any problem for sure and the program running on this controller is not too heavy. We use 2 duet modules ( for an amplifier and an iport RS232 ). Do you have any experience for the AMX iport last duet module? . Is there any possibility of overloading a controller by using many duet modules?

I would appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance,
George

Comments

• Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Hi all,
    Is there any diagnostic method for checking the ethernet port of an NI controller. I have faced a problem that an NI looses the connection from 3 panels at the same time. I am afraid that something is going wrong with its ethernet port. The network does not have any problem for sure and the program running on this controller is not too heavy. We use 2 duet modules ( for an amplifier and an iport RS232 ). Do you have any experience for the AMX iport last duet module? . Is there any possibility of overloading a controller by using many duet modules?

I would appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance,
    George
    You can do all the windows things to the NIC to test it is alive, however, I would suggest looking a the system setup and perhaps wading through a few of the following thoughts.

Make sure your duet mem is up to at least 8Mb. Make sure the panels setup have a valid gateway - if there is no 'real' gateway, point it to the master IP address

Crank all the connection speeds down to 10Mb - shouldn't pose a problem - this might help. Take them off auto for sure - this can cause an issue on some routers. Force it to one speed or the other.

I have just been on a system where my laptop is kicked off all the time. It is on a switch, not a router and all addresses are clear. We swapped the switch from a netgear to a linksys and all is well now.

I would strongly recommend a firmware check on the ni and the panels, and, also consider changing the switch/router for a different brand as a last resort to help your debug.

Just some quick thoughts for now.

HTH
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Telnet into the master and type in "msg on all." Then watch it; you will see all manner of status messages and perhaps get a clue what is going on just as it is losing the connections.