Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

HDMI-CEC Control of Devices/Samsung AnyNet Control

Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge about the HDMI control scheme, HDMI-CEC, (that is, the control of devices via HDMI cable i.e. control of a DVD player hooked to a TV via HDMI only via the TV or it's remote) which I'm guessing Samsung's AnyNet is a standard implementation thereof?

I would imagine that the control scheme would have to be mentioned in the HDMI spec, but I figured I'd ask here first before going on a potentially fruitless chase.

What we need is a HDMI pass-through dongle that would allow input/output on this HDMI control bus via RS232 or IP over Ethernet. Since, it supposedly links all devices hooked into the TV into a network of sorts, I'd imagine all devices that implement the standard could then be controlled.

Attached is the AnyNet connection diagram from the Samsung manual... unfortunately the manual was very vague beyond this and some simple troubleshooting.

Comments

• nhercnherc Posts: 34
    HDMI-CEC Info/Movie

I'd just like to follow-up on what I posted as I've learned a bit more about HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) since my initial post.

This seems like something we may all be getting into sooner or later as we inevitably move to all digital distribution and this looks to become a standard control mechanism.

Anyway... I actually found a test/certification device that does all I asked for over the HDMI-CEC bus via IP made by Quantum Data... I believe the part is the 882CA, but, I'm not sure what other components you might need, but it seems you can emulate and watch bus traffic with this unit.

Also, Quantum Data provides a quick run down of just what HDMI-CEC is and does in a nice quicktime movie that everyone here should take a gander at: http://www.quantumdata.com/products/videos/CEC/English/CEC_English_Med.mov

Here is a great white-paper on HDMI-CEC from HDMI.org: http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/whitepaper/DesigningCECintoYourNextHDMIProduct.pdf