Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions
Options

Database connectivity from AMX?

Would like to ask is anything planned to be changed regarding database connectivity from Netlinx (and Duet soon)? From my point of view using the database as it currently suggested, via IIS, is quite cumbersome from architectural point of view. Additionally, for example, my client does not welcome to install and support an IIS just as a proxy for reaching the database.

I believe the database connectivity is an important issue in home automatisation. Gathering data from devices will allow later provide, for example, power consumption reports, history on security and just answer the questions what happened when and where...

I understand that using TCP/IP we can create our custom solution but even in this case we need some kind of home-brewed proxy...

In short, is that possible to create a Netlinx module that based on VxWorks ODBC, so it would be (I think) more standard and more effective way to reach a database?

Comments

• Options
    Database

I've been thinking about developing a netlinx module that would store the database on the CF card on the netlinx. I tried the CD Lookup module, and even if it works fine, in my mind it's not a good solution/architecture to have to have an IIS server just to hold the database.
    I've been looking around for a simple open source database that could be ported to NetLinx code but so far no luck.

/Hakan
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Thanks, HakanL, for the note. I would rather wait for Duet release: there must be JDBC Optional Package for CDC/Foundation Profile (JSR-169)...

Indeed, it is still unclear for me, how home automation projects assumed to be successful so far with such poor database support. Or no databases were involved in majority of cases..?
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the Java toolkit you referred to would mean for us NetLinx developers. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprise if 3rd party Java packages (like database connectivity) will not work on the NetLinx, even with Duet. I see Duet as more a Java-flavor of NetLinx, but that may be wrong. Or is the toolkit you wrote a database that could run on the NetLinx controller?

Personally I would like to have a complete standalone PC-less solution. A PC is always a lot more maintenance than something integrated.

I think most home automation projects are realtime with no more logging/history than the AMX log, so a pure database isn't really required.

/Hakan
  • Options
    In Java/Duet thread, AMX stated that Duet is CDC/Foundation Profile.

JSR-169 is a subset of JDBC 3.0 and declared by Sun as an optional package for CDC, that means its API is compatible with Foundation profile. Therefore JDBC code must work on Netlinx CVM (or its HotSpot Implementation - btw?), otherwise it would be violation of the standard.

So I expect we will have nice database support soon.

Regarding automation projects without data management, - they loose more than half of allure - it is just another expensive control network, not a solid solution.
  • Options
    databaseconnection with php/mysql

I've programmed a database-connection to a mysql-server. It is based on some php-files on server-side and a bundle of functions for insert, update and read records in/from database. The database-server is provided in the internet. In europe it's not expensive to rent some webspace with a mysql-database.
  • Options
    Hi, Peter.

That sounds very interesting. Would you think to share the code on sourceforge.net?