Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Network connections in University settings?

Over the last couple years, I've ended up installing little 8-Port Netgear POE switches in a lot of AMX installations on my campus, to drive DMS touchpanels mostly, and a few other good reasons. I've got one network connection coming in from the IT department's network for remote access to the devices.

Now the networking division is having a spaz because I've got these switches on their network. They want me to either cut off access to the system from outside (goodbye RMS) or *someone* (besides them of course) to pay for the installation and ongoing fees for a discreet network port for each device.

Is anyone else out there working in a higher-ed environment? If so, what's the general policy on whether stuff like this is allowed, and / or who absorbs the cost of port installations and ongoing fees if separate ports are required for each device?

Thanks,

Comments

• Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I'm the AMX supervisor at our University. We have our own subnet that we look after. All of my controllers are on. Our IT department now supplies us with a Cisco smart switch which is setup for all of our subnets.
    Who looks after the computers in your classrooms? The smart switch can be setup so you will only need 1 network connection into the classroom and you can then hook all of your stuff up to it.
  • filpeefilpee Posts: 64
    Separate cable per device back to the Uni's managed switches here.

If its a new building then we let the Uni know how many ports we need and they get the builders to sort it out.
    If its a refurbishment then the Uni brings in their comms subcontractor to run in the new cables.

It is a massive pain in the neck but its something we have to deal with.

They are slowly coming about to let us use some small switches but that is only for some mobile trolleys we are making.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    New building: We do our best to make the building budget pays for 4 IP outlets in the classrooms. (2 @ projector for AMX & digitiser, 2 over front screen for laptop & PC).

Existing building, new equipment in room: We pass the costs onto whoever is paying for the installation.

Upgrading of existing room: We end up paying for the outlets.

All IP runs go back to the Cisco routers (big fat ones) in comms cupboards.

As the sole AMX person here I have learnt to get along well with the network guys. I appreciate the fact that they don't like other switches/hubs/routers plugged into their network. This allows them to do incredible remote management of the network. By adhering to their requirement, we have a better chance of diagnosing connection issues. Best of all, the responsibility of security between vlans, etc end up with them.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • annuello wrote: »
    I appreciate the fact that they don't like other switches/hubs/routers plugged into their network. This allows them to do incredible remote management of the network.

I wish this were about them being able to provide better service, but it's not. This is strictly "control freak" driven policy. In my 25-year career in the computing industry, I've never run across an organization with a worse customer service culture.

They are now charging US$13.50 per port per month for an active IP port, plus the installation charges to install any new port. Their current policy is to provide one, and only one, live IP port per classroom with general classroom funds. If a department wants to install a permanent computer in that classroom and also provide a live network drop for a laptop, that department has to pay for the second port.

For the simplest AMX system (NI-700+DMS panel), someone is going to get charged install fees plus US$324 per year if the IT department provides the connectivity. A few departments don't care, but most of them can't afford it.

Make no mistake that this is the death knell for AMX on my campus. There's been a personnel shakekup here too; my supervisor who also liked AMX got pushed out, and my director hates anything that is digital or can be programmed. Not sure what good it did me to get my programmer's certification - I certainly won't be using it now. My job is now spec'ing Xantech and working up wire pull schedules. Oh boy.

Oh well, enough sour grapes. I do appreciate everyone's input on the matter. Thanks!
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I must admit, it has taken years of insisting to get one of our staff invited to the "building refurb" meetings. I think they have finally seen the sense in considering the room technology at design time rather than retrospectively. Perhaps they got sick of duct being glued onto pretty walls...

As for network guys being "control freaks", I think that to a certain extent they have the right to be. If my AMX gets hammered by other nasties on the network, do I want to be responsible for fire-walling every AMX? I'd much rather leave it to the guys who get paid to do such things. And secure bridging between WLAN & LAN? Again, they've done a much better job that I could do. In the end I like the other options that they can provide, like triangulation of stolen MVPs so we can see which way it walked. (Not that I've had to use this feature yet though.)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    at my previous job (University of Nebraska - Lincoln) They were pretty hard-nosed about it too. They required that each device have a descrete IP port that they provided on their switch. They also required that each device have it's own IP address on their subnet. At the time, Nelinx was pretty unhappy unless it had a static IP address. Absolutely no routers or switches were allowed.

Our IT people would not allow for such frivolity. They would agree to assign us what they called a Dynamic Static IP. We knew what it meant. However, we would periodically have to get everything re-registered because the data tables managing which MAC address got which IP address would occasionally get erased.

Also, quite often Netlinx masters would set off thier virus/spyware network management software and we'd loose our ports automatically. Netlinx masters are pretty chatty boxes really.

It took almost a year of working with them to get any kind of understanding and help about it. We eventually got Netlinx masters on the 'Qualifies as a Server' list. That made all the difference in the world. then we could get static IPs and were allowed to be as chatty as we wanted.
  • mikecmikec Posts: 14
    Sorry... just saw this one...

Much like any big organisation our network boys will not allow multiple IPs on a single switch port - ultimately their management systems will just shut down the ports. Not worth the argument, they provide us with a very high quality network environment and respond very quickly to any issues.

Where the annoyance comes in is that the critical connection between TP and NI is outside the room and under someone else's control...

We're in discussions with our network gurus to let us deploy smaller switches locally in each room - but they'll just be cheaper Cisco units they would still manage as part of their corporate infrastructure. Hopefully in the case of a failure in the data room down the corridor we will mainitain in-room comms and only lose our remote management.

Plan ultimately is to come back to only three ports - One for the 'AV management' switch, one for a videoconferencing codec if installed (with QoS) and one for the house PC.