Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Netlinx on Vista Install Issues

I just got a new laptop and it turns out installing XP instead of the preinstalled Vista is an issue because there is no built in driver for the SATA controller in the laptop and XP lacks the driver on the install CD and I don't have a floppy drive. It also won't let me eject the install disk during installation to install the driver via CD so I'm SOOL.

I suppose I need to upgrade some time, however, both Netlinx Studio and TP4 hang during installation when they attempt to stick fonts in c:\windows\fonts\

I tried running the install .exe's as Admin and running in Compatibility Mode but still a NO INSTALL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• SensivaSensiva Posts: 211
    Here you go...

Hello Nic,

Here we have two problems that should be solved,

-- Windows Vista:
    AMX applications are not supported under Windows Vista yet, and I don't think it would be in the near future because Vista is very frustrating in my opinion.

Having said that, Windows XP is your only Home Sweet Home, So you may start using Virtual Machine, running windows XP inside Vista (you might need more memory and more money to pay Virtual Machine License and don't expect a good performance.)

OR

Try to include your SATA driver into Windows XP installation disc (AKA slipstream your SATA driver)
    HOW??? Here!!
    Its a perfect method, easy, reliable... just be patient and google as much as you can.

-- AMX Fonts
    before going through Windows XP approach, read this thread, may be there is an answer

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=357

Hope this helps.

Keep us updated... :)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AMX may not officially support Vista, but I have not heard that there are any problems running AMX apps in it either. I don't think you have to worry about it, just go ahead and run Vista.
  • nhercnherc Posts: 34
    Well, I tried installing in Safe Mode and that was a no-go as it said it could not access a required DLL.

One last try installing in the normal Vista desktop worked however to my amazement, especially since I don't think I did anything different.

I DID install TP4 first AND made sure to uncheck the two fonts in one of the installation dialog boxes (as it hung previously trying to install the fonts). It installed. Then I ran the NetLinx Studio install and it worked. I then re-ran the TP4 install with the fonts checked (to make sure they were installed) and it worked as well.

Go figure... perhaps its was the order of installation or install configuration, I do not know. But, both now work