Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

How do *you* handle floorplan graphics?

I'm working on a resi project where the home footprint is quite large and irregularly shaped and doesn't fit very well on the 12" or smaller touchpanels. In the case of a very large floorplan and outdoor area, what do you do to make things easy to see and easy to select for your clients?

For that matter I was wondering what cool tricks in general others have for using floorplan graphics in their touchpanel designs (my floorplan graphics always seem so boring).

For this particular application I was just going to make the floorplan small enough to fit on the screen, then have zoomed in pop-ups of that section appear when the client touches that part of the house, but in this case, I need to select zones that may include rooms from opposite ends of the house, and there are so many half levels, and full levels, I'd need about 6 different pages just to handle the different floors/levels of the house.

Have a great weekend everyone :).

--John

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'll sometimes break up the graphic into separate floors or sections of floors. We mainly only put floor plans on for security systems. They don't need chapter and verse. They just need to see that the kitchen door was left open.
  • Options
    banobano Posts: 173
    This is pretty much the readers digest version. I start with the cad floor plan imported into Visio. I retain the original outline of the floor plan but erase the interior and redraw the rooms using straight horizontal and vertical lines. I save as a jpeg, import into Photoshop, and resize the drawing to fit the touch panel, creating a separate layer for the floor plan outline and the room shapes. I establish a default floor plan color and add special effects (shadow, contour,etc) for the room shapes, and then using the crop tool, I save each individual room as a png file creating different colors to represent changes in the state of each room. I usually have about 4 or 5 different color representations for each room. Then in tpd4, I create a button, import the floor plan outline and create separate multi-state buttons for each room, adding room name and adding icons to represent a selected source for that room. Coding does the rest, flipping the button state to match the selected source.
    I'm working on a resi project where the home footprint is quite large and irregularly shaped and doesn't fit very well on the 12" or smaller touchpanels. In the case of a very large floorplan and outdoor area, what do you do to make things easy to see and easy to select for your clients?

For that matter I was wondering what cool tricks in general others have for using floorplan graphics in their touchpanel designs (my floorplan graphics always seem so boring).

For this particular application I was just going to make the floorplan small enough to fit on the screen, then have zoomed in pop-ups of that section appear when the client touches that part of the house, but in this case, I need to select zones that may include rooms from opposite ends of the house, and there are so many half levels, and full levels, I'd need about 6 different pages just to handle the different floors/levels of the house.

Have a great weekend everyone :).

--John
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. I thought there would be a lot more input from everyone regarding this kind of topic. After seeing the number of steps Bano uses, I can see why my floorplans seem boring... I usually just convert the AutoCAD floorplan to .png and that's it :).

I think for this project I might try to do a different view angle on the floorplan. If I change the perspective from a plan view looking down from the top, to a viewpoint from the side but elevated, that should allow me to fit more of the floorplan in and even handle the multiple levels of the house more easily (there are about 9 levels in this house). I may have someone add a little color and make it 3D with the walls like curbs to give it some pizzazz.

To share one cool trick I use, I place simple 2-state buttons on the rooms with the off state transparent and the on state a semi-transparent color. Then I have the security motion sensors light up the rooms where they detect movement by changing the button state for a few moments. It's kind of a wow factor for the client when they can see in an overview where there's movement being detected in the house. You can even see the path that people are taking when you see the rooms lighting up in sequence then turning off in sequence. Maybe not the coolest trick, but I think it looks pretty slick when it's happening.

--John
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's been a while since I did a floorplan; most of my recent jobs have been simple enough that a list of rooms sufficed where any such selection was even needed.

That said, the last I did, I got an Autocad file from the builder, and played around with visible layers until I had what I wanted. Then I exported it to a JPG, flattened it to grayscale, then colorized what was left so it was blue on white, like an old-school blueprint. After that, it was just a matter of scaling it and cleaning it up a tad. It sounds like a lot more work than it actually was ... I don't think I needed to spend more than 20 minutes or so per floor (that particular project had two buildings of three floors each). Heh, it was far easier than the old Landmark days, outlining the rooms with that crazy room editor .. I spent an entire day doing floor plans with one of those projects.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I did one that matched the lighting layout and the lights reflected the actual levels of the lights by changing the opacity of the images, working paddle fans which matched the speed of the actual fans and walking stick figures that would start walking around the room when there was motion in that room. Don't expect to get paid for during this kind of stuff, of course if you can more power to ya, but do it for the fun and the challenge of doing different or unique.
  • Options
    yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    what kind of software I need to create floorplan graphic from CAD file? Does anyone have a screen shot layout or picture so I can look at?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    yanbin wrote: »
    what kind of software I need to create floorplan graphic from CAD file? Does anyone have a screen shot layout or picture so I can look at?
    Thanks.

I use Visio and Photoshop
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    yanbin wrote: »
    Thanks.

I use the same algorithm as bano. Here is a screenshot of an HVAC page from a few years ago. I haven't had much call to do this type of thing lately.
    Paul

HVAC.png 265.4K
  • Options
    Here's a screen shot of one of my floorplans
  • Options
    yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    Thanks Paul and Bano, nice graphic!
  • Options
    jimmywjimmyw Posts: 112
    Heres what we do for floorplans

• Options