Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NetLinx Controller Stalling after Stidio Link Loss

Hi Guy's, most of my NetLinx sites are remotely managed so I don't have to do a lot of travelling. The sites run perfectly normally. From time to time when I connect to NetLinx for system updates etc, I (sometimes) have a problem the VPN link is lost between NetLinx Studio and the controller, the master gets itself all tied up in knots and can't shake it out. To date it has happened on a NI-700, NI-2000, and a NI-4000.

The problem seems to occur when the link between the controller and NetLinx Studio gets uncerimonially disrupted. I had been advised not to leave Studio connected to the Panel after a download, and to achieve that change the Master Comms setting. I tried this last night after a download, as soon as the panel rebooted I changed the Master comm setting, and carried on recording the data using Hyperterminal - cool!

As soon as I closed the VPN link, the NI-700 stalled and couldn't get back into it at all. I had to rouse somebody to go and recycle the power.

When it happens the Master's Link and Status LEDs still flicker but we loose all communication to the controller, including Port 80, and 1319. Serial still works but, not much good when your 70km away.

This only happens when Studio is connected to the remote panel, but can be embarrasing so I'm having to add in Watch Dog relays to recycle the power just in case they stall. Is there a better solution?

Cheers

Brent

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I only have one system I access via VPN (though it is a big one); most of the time, I use simple NAT port forwarding. But I have never seen this particular issue. It is my habit, however, to close all my programming tools before dropping the connection. I am fortunate in that I have never had it just drop on its own.
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    Well I never had that problem, and I'm using VPN mostly in all our projects.

It has allways been working great.
    Are you using VPN client, or router-router VPN?
    In the case you are using client mode, check out the time you have to "stay online", basicly your SA life. And try to close your VPN connection before the time goes out, and be sure do disconnect from the controller before you close VPN then.

In the case you really need to reboot the controller at a distance we use these PDU swicthes to achieve that porpouse

http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/pdu/smart/pdf/smrtpdu.pdf

You are able reboot, power off, power on, see power consumption and other stuff all by a webinterface.
    So you can get to it thru VPN.