Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

1500VG: very strange video problem

OK, here's one for Engineering.

I've been having an ongoing problem with the video input on a NXT-1500VG. The complaint was no video display; when we saw it first-hand, it was a gray screen with static ripples. Of course, the first thing we did was check the wire. It was good. Then we bypassed the AV breakout box and just put some generic baluns on it ... still no go. I called Tech Support, who advised me the panel was bad, and gave me an RA. We got a replacement, put it in, and had exactly the same problem. Even a new AV breakout box didn't solve it. I came to the conclusion that the wire, even though it tested fine, must have an issue, so I told my installer to run a new one. Still nothing. It had worked previously for months, and I was getting a very upset customer at this point.

In between pulling his hair out, the installer got confused and accidentally pulled out the network wire instead of the video wire. The video came back on perfectly with the network wire unplugged. Mind you, there was never a problem with the network connection. We replaced the network wire entirely; problem solved.

So what the heck is common between the network jack and the AV jack? I can only figure the NIC is POE capable, and has a common ground with the AV connection, and a short in the wire to whatever pins POE uses were causing the trouble. But I'm guessing, and I realize it's something of a reach. I would really like to know what really happened. Since it affected two panels, the original, and a brand-new replacement, it can't be a defect, but must be an engineering flaw.