Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Netlinx Feature Request ? Ability to FILE_OPEN on any master in the URL list.

I can?t speak for others but I see great benefit if we can open and read files on other masters in the URL list. My thought is if the file path starts with a double whack then that means we?re looking to open the file on a remote master. The remote master can be specified by the system number. A file path might look something like this:

?\\<system number>\<directory>\<filename>?

I don?t know enough about the inner workings of the hardware or firmware to know whether this is technologically possible. Even if we?re limited to read only access that would still be big step in the right direction.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    I can?t speak for others but I see great benefit if we can open and read files on other masters in the URL list. My thought is if the file path starts with a double whack then that means we?re looking to open the file on a remote master. The remote master can be specified by the system number. A file path might look something like this:

?\\<system number>\<directory>\<filename>?

I don?t know enough about the inner workings of the hardware or firmware to know whether this is technologically possible. Even if we?re limited to read only access that would still be big step in the right direction.

Thanks.

Joe you can FTP any files to your master from another master, use i!-FTPSender... You can also use HTTP to open/read a file on another master.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    AMXJeff wrote: »
    Joe you can FTP any files to your master from another master, use i!-FTPSender... You can also use HTTP to open/read a file on another master.
    Right, that is an option but to me it?s not the same as using the existing FILE_ commands. You?re suggesting access by opening IP connections first. I?m thinking more in terms of file sharing like you see on PC networks. You use the same FILE_ commands irregardless of where the file exists.

Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    cfloydcfloyd Posts: 6
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Right, that is an option but to me it?s not the same as using the existing FILE_ commands. You?re suggesting access by opening IP connections first. I?m thinking more in terms of file sharing like you see on PC networks. You use the same FILE_ commands irregardless of where the file exists.

Thanks for the reply.

I need this as well.. Any thoughts yet?
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    It's only been 4 years, give it some time man. :)

You could easliy whip out a .axi file to reside in each master, each with its own virtual dev then send a string to the vDev (master) of your choosing and request a file or pass it a file using string_to _var and var_to_string as necassary, file open, read and write as necassary.

I basically do this now from remote masters to my office master using my office master as a generic server on a port of my choosing and the client's masters, well, as clients. The files I receive from the clients are truncated on the client's side to a max of 60k. It's a really bad system day when they need to be truncated though, normally these files run 14K.