Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

"Werewolf" Axcent 3

Greetings,

I've seen Axcent 3's that fail and show "Werewolf" eyes by flashing two of the serial comm lights back and forth.

Does anyone know what causes this and if there is anything that can be done to bring them back from this state?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    I've seen similar on the Axcent II, and it was spurious noise that was the cause.

I had about 10 of them stacked one on top of the other so I could drop in the replicated code, but to my amazement, one of the boxes, about 3rd from the bottom started to flash 2 of the serial ports regularly.

These boxes were supposedly all brand new, out of the wrapper, and so I guessed that one had been out for testing or demo, so out of curiosity, I retrieved the code from the box.....but there was indeed nothing there!

After I spoke with the distributor who politely suggested I stop drinking so heavily during the day, I decided to prove that I wasn't completely mad and I added a 7ah gel cell to the system and delivered it to them by courier, running.

Now that raised some eyebrows! :-)

We determined that the cause was just spurious noise generated, most likely, by the processors themselves. We had seen similar noise affect AXR-RF boxes plenty of times, so we weren't too surprised.

Perhaps there is some new kit nearby in your situation?

Relocation of other nearby micro kit and then a reboot cleared our faults.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    That flashing shows that the unit is in a low-level manufacturing/debugging mode. The one time I saw this, I believe I avoided sending the box back to AMX by running SoftROM and loading a new copy of the current firmware into the box.

You could also try popping out the internal batteries for a while to see if that kicks it back to normal.

- Chip