Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Any of you guys getting rid of touchpanels?

Hey guys,

I know some of you have lab setups, etc - curious whether anyone is trying to offload any newer touchpanels. I'm still fairly new to AMX but I'm just kind of learning on my own. Frankly I'm fed up trying to deal with these old VPT-CPs that I got off ebay - they don't hold a charge and they only work half the time. Kind of makes it hard to learn. Anyway, if any of you have some stuff to get rid of, send me a PM and let me know. I'll pay of course...

Thanks! Enjoying learning the ropes...

Dan

Comments

• glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    I understand the battery issue but what other problems are you having that only has the panel working 50% of the time? I've used many of the VPT's and other than poor battery life the only other real problem I've had has been with a few of the 315 Mhz panels and the RF receivers were fixed and the problem seemed to improve. Is it convenient to use the power supply when the battery drains? If you can't find a different panel order a new battery, yeah I know that they are over priced, make sure you let the battery drain to the point that you get at least the yellow message then let it fully charge. This helps eliminate the usual memory issue that shortens the useful life of the battery. Do you have a docking station that you can use to have a second battery charging? If you don't have a DS and if you don't mind one that has a broken tip on the dock, charges the battery inside just fine and if you pay for shipping I've have one you can have.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    G4 panels are too pricey to be just "getting rid of" them. Any we have had "left over" because a customer upgraded or changed their mind have just gotten cycled into another project ... even older models.
  • dmurray14dmurray14 Posts: 80
    glr-fti wrote: »
    I understand the battery issue but what other problems are you having that only has the panel working 50% of the time? I've used many of the VPT's and other than poor battery life the only other real problem I've had has been with a few of the 315 Mhz panels and the RF receivers were fixed and the problem seemed to improve. Is it convenient to use the power supply when the battery drains? If you can't find a different panel order a new battery, yeah I know that they are over priced, make sure you let the battery drain to the point that you get at least the yellow message then let it fully charge. This helps eliminate the usual memory issue that shortens the useful life of the battery. Do you have a docking station that you can use to have a second battery charging? If you don't have a DS and if you don't mind one that has a broken tip on the dock, charges the battery inside just fine and if you pay for shipping I've have one you can have.

Well, as soon as you take any of the panels off the dock, it beeps with the low battery warning. I'm assuming the battery is shot. Regarding it only working half the time, I'm not sure what it is, but I'd say only half the time does the signal make it back to the receiver. The other half nothing is received, the data lights don't blink, etc. It's been fine for playing around and getting started, but I want something that works now and also can do 2-way. Just figured I'd ask here, you never know. I'll cruise around ebay and see what I can find!

As always, thanks guys!
    Dan
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You might consider going to something wired and G3 like a CA-10. At my old job (University of Nebraska) They were the touch panel of choice in the classrooms. Plenty of real estate for layouts that are easy to read. Plenty of available buttons. (254 buttons per device X 4 possible devices=1024 buttons) They are bright and have pretty acceptable graphics capabilities. they are actually pretty rugged.

AMX has officially ended their line. ON the products page they are listed as 'limited supply'

I have an AMX system in my own home that consists completely of G3 panels I've aquired over the years. It works like a champ.

Search on ebay for them. they typically go for anywhere from $100-$150 ish. Not bad really.
    Figured I'd give this one last bump, I have $650 to spend for a MVP, but they're tougher to find on ebay and I want one now! ;)

If any of you have any used ones to sell around that price, let me know!

Thanks again guys.

Dan
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I bought a 7500 on ebay a while back for a grand. But it was at a time when there weren't many listed. Usually it goes in spurts. One week there will be 5 7500's and 8400's and the next nothing or maybe 1 overpriced. If you just keep your eye on it, you can come across a 7500 for a good deal and even an 8400 but you will be really lucky to get a 8400 for $650. Also the CA10's are always on there.. they are good and cheap!

Ryan
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    dmurray14 wrote: »
    I'll pay of course...
    No, no, no, you should ask for free, and if you have to pay for them . . . well, so be it. I would have went the free route first. :D LOL!
    jjames wrote: »
    No, no, no, you should ask for free, and if you have to pay for them . . . well, so be it. I would have went the free route first. :D LOL!

Oh I'm always up for free! I guess that means you have a few to give away? PM me for my address!

;)