Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Anyone doing the VIP thing?

I'm thinking about hitchin my horse to the VIP thing.
Anyone here in it? Is it worth the trouble? Should I spend my time and effort getting my name out in other ways.
I've been doing this Independent programmer thing for about 3 years.

Let me hear your gripes, complaints and accolades.

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Could you enlighten those who don't know what VIP is? I know "Very Important Person", but I'm guessing it's "Programmer" ?
  • def90def90 Posts: 14
    jjames wrote: »
    Could you enlighten those who don't know what VIP is? I know "Very Important Person", but I'm guessing it's "Programmer" ?

Valued Independant Programmers... Basically you pay AMX to be listed on the web site and you get some other benefits..

http://www.amx.com/contactamx/vip.asp

I'm an independant programmer but don't do the VIP thing. I have found a couple dealers that know what they are doing that I have stuck with and they have stuck with me so I am not really out looking for new work.. I've done one to many shoddily designed and installed systems and decided I am not going to put my name on other peoples crap anymore.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    AMX has a program for Independent Programmers that gets us "special treatment".
    I think there is some cost involved. Bet we get access to discounted hw(still higher than dealer), loaner equipment and some other perks too.
    There is a VIP forum that you can see but can't access if you look at the top level before logging in.
    There is also a VIP page at http://www.amx.com/contactamx/vip.asp.
    It's not a good sign when one of the top posters on this forum hasn't heard of it. Seems AMX hasn't been marketing it very good.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Kenny wrote: »
    It's not a good sign when one of the top posters on this forum hasn't heard of it. Seems AMX hasn't been marketing it very good.
    All is not lost. I work for a dealer, so I probably wouldn't have heard about this anyway.
  • patbpatb Posts: 140
    I know about it and have been asked to join, but my workload is so high right now that I've held off for a while. I probably will do it later this year when I have time to catch my breath. I know that if you are a dealer you cannot join. Also - it's not just a matter of wanting to do it - you have to be invited to join and I'm not sure exactly what the process is that you have to go through. I know they are wanting to keep it very exclusive and not extend it to everyone who has an extra $1000 like (the C word) has done with their CAIP program. That's basically nothing more than (the C word) forcing independent programmers to pay $1000 a year in order to have tech support.
  • VIP
    Kenny wrote: »
    AMX has a program for Independent Programmers that gets us "special treatment".
    I think there is some cost involved. But we get access to discounted hw(still higher than dealer), loaner equipment and some other perks too.

VIP (Valued Independent Programmer) participation is by invitation only. AMX hardware for personal use (not for resale) in developing programmed solutions can be purchased at a significant discount over normal dealer pricing. Other perks include access to training and tier 1 tech support. There are a number of VIP members that participate on these forums.

If you are independent and are interested in the program, send me a PM.